Post your ROL 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heyjack70

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems the 4th years do this every year. Let's continue the tradition.

Mine:

1. University of Washington
2. University of Utah
3. University of Nevada, Reno
4. University of Colorado
5. Banner Good Samaritan, Phoenix
6. Creighton/ U of Nebraska

Members don't see this ad.

1) Colorado
2) Vanderbilt
3) MUSC
4) Florida
5) Minnesota
6) Emory
7) Hawaii

Number one and two were pretty set in my book. The rest took a bit of works with lots of pluses and minuses to weigh against each other. Amazing what picking up a fiance will do to your plans... ;)

Last edited:
1. UCLA
2. Harvard Longwood
3. NYU

Decided to leave New York, or go to the most crazy New York program there is.... :):) I am still conflicted by how I ranked the programs!!

Big picture: Any of those three, I'll be honored.

Good luck to all :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Seeing as my username isn't exactly anonymous, I'm going to do what is done on some of the other forums and post my top 5 in alphabetical order. If for some reason like to know the order, please PM me (I know I've met some of you on the trail and would be happy to chat privately).

In alphabetical order:
Columbia
MGH-Adult Track
MGH-Child Track
UCLA
Yale Integrated (combined adult/child)

I would be thrilled to be at any of these programs.

I'm still very conflicted about how I ranked my top four programs as well...perhaps it's just practice for a career of making decisions with a certain amount of information and time to do it in...My list was heavily influenced by my significant other too...

UCLA
UPenn
University of Washington
Columbia
Emory
UCSF
Cambridge
Harvard Longwood
Mt Sinai
UTSW

Dartmouth
Brown
Penn
Cambridge
Duke
Michigan
Longwood
MUSC
Vermont

Location + career opportunities were the most important to me.

1. UW-Madison (wisconsin)
2. Michigan
3. Michigan State

1. UCSF
2. Stanford
3. UCLA
4. MGH/McLean
5. Columbia

My list is entirely based on location. GL everyone!

Michigan
WashU
Emory
Hopkins
MCW
Indiana
UIC

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Is Columbia considered 'better' than MGH/McLean these days?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Columbia considered 'better' than MGH/McLean these days?

Nope. I think both adult programs are essentially equivalent in the prestige factor. It seems like the combined cornell/columbia child fellowship is not considered as desirable as MGH/McLean, but this may have to do more with the logistics of the fellowship in NYC(having to go all around manhattan makes it tough to find a convenient place to live).

I have heard about the Hopkins-like show- i hear they will be in the psych ED. I'm excited to see how that pans out.

Nope. I think both adult programs are essentially equivalent in the prestige factor. It seems like the combined cornell/columbia child fellowship is not considered as desirable as MGH/McLean, but this may have to do more with the logistics of the fellowship in NYC(having to go all around manhattan makes it tough to find a convenient place to live).

I have heard about the Hopkins-like show- i hear they will be in the psych ED. I'm excited to see how that pans out.

People are more interested in psychiatry EDs these days because of that disgrace at Downstate last year. Yes, it'll be nice to see myself on television. jk :)

1. UCLA
2. Mayo
3. Michigan
4. Cambridge
5. U Washington
6. Hopkins
7. Columbia
8. MGH/McLean

1. Brown
2. Harvard Longwood
3. Cornell
4. Colorado
5. Southwestern
6. Yale Integrated Adult/Child/Research
7. UCSD
8. University of Washington
9. Harvard Cambridge
10. Yale
11. University of Oklahoma

Looking back, I'm still not sure I put Yale integrated high enough, or Cornell low enough. And am also second guessing my decision not to interview at UCLA, Emory, Wash U, and Baylor. And of course, can't do anything about the fact that MGH and Columbia didn't deem me worthy of an interview slot. At any rate, I'd be pretty happy at any of the programs on my list so we'll see what happens.

And I hope Doc Samson doesn't kill me for not ranking Longwood number 1.

1. Brown
2. Harvard Longwood
3. Cornell
4. Colorado
5. Southwestern
7. UCSD
9. Harvard Cambridge
10. Yale

Not to jinx anyone (myself included), but wasn't Brown awesome? It was a total dark horse for me. For years I had known that Peter Kramer, author of Listening to Prozac - one of the books that got me thinking about psychiatry was on the faculty there. But I still didn't expect to find the program as strong as I did. (For future applicants - Very cool place. Great residents, too.)

1. Brown
2. Harvard Longwood
3. Cornell
4. Colorado
5. Southwestern
7. UCSD
9. Harvard Cambridge
10. Yale

Looking back, I'm still not sure I put Yale integrated high enough, or Cornell low enough. And am also second guessing my decision not to interview at UCLA, Emory, Wash U, and Baylor. And of course, can't do anything about the fact that MGH and Columbia didn't deem me worthy of an interview slot. At any rate, I'd be pretty happy at any of the programs on my list so we'll see what happens.

And I hope Doc Samson doesn't kill me for not ranking Longwood number 1.

No HI here. I had the same 1 vs. 2 debate way back when - ultimately chose Longwood and have had no regrets, but can certainly relate to the appeal of Brown.

Not to jinx anyone (myself included), but wasn't Brown awesome? It was a total dark horse for me. For years I had known that Peter Kramer, author of Listening to Prozac - one of the books that got me thinking about psychiatry was on the faculty there. But I still didn't expect to find the program as strong as I did. (For future applicants - Very cool place. Great residents, too.)

Yeah I was very impressed with Brown as well. I think for folks interested in child, they are strong. I also suggest going on a research day, if they have those again next year- they are really dedicated to making time available for residents to do substantial projects. There are also a lot of moonlighting opportunities. Ultimately, geography bumped it to number 6 on my list but it really is a cool place.

No HI here. I had the same 1 vs. 2 debate way back when - ultimately chose Longwood and have had no regrets, but can certainly relate to the appeal of Brown.

Now I'm feeling rejected. If you loved me enough, you would threaten me, just to show you cared.

better late than never: :sleep:
1) Duke
2) MUSC
3) Emory
4) Harvard South Shore
5) UT-Southwestern
6) Penn
7) Florida

I see that a few people are listing 1 or 2 California programs in their list. For those ppl, did you only apply to a few California programs? I guess I'm just wondering how risky it is to only apply to and rank California programs...

I see that a few people are listing 1 or 2 California programs in their list. For those ppl, did you only apply to a few California programs? I guess I'm just wondering how risky it is to only apply to and rank California programs...

Can't speak for anyone else but I only applied to one CA program- UCLA. Its not like trying to apply to California UC med schools from out of state so I think the risk is just applying to too few programs in general. There are a lot of programs in CA and as long as you apply to a wide range of them, I wouldn't worry about it.

Not seeing many people rank Stanford...is there a reason for this? I am an M3 and I want to do an away there and I'm just wondering if UCSF may be a better option...

oh, what the hell

in no particular order:

University of Arkansas
UT- San Antonio
OU- Tulsa
LSU/Ochsner - New Orleans
UTMB- Galveston

Good luck, everyone!

I applied to UCLA/UCSF/Stanford/UCLA Harbor, did an away rotation at UCLA, and only ended up interviewing at UCLA and Harbor/UCLA.

My impression, though, is if you apply to all the cali programs and convince them that you are serious about moving out there, they will take you seriously and you can match SOMEwhere in the state.... California is huge. Just look into the programs and apply the ones you liked -- including UCSD, irvine, etc. :luck:

I applied to UCLA/UCSF/Stanford/UCLA Harbor, did an away rotation at UCLA, and only ended up interviewing at UCLA and Harbor/UCLA.

My impression, though, is if you apply to all the cali programs and convince them that you are serious about moving out there, they will take you seriously and you can match SOMEwhere in the state.... California is huge. Just look into the programs and apply the ones you liked -- including UCSD, irvine, etc. :luck:

Convincing them I want to return should not be too difficult for me. I grew up in Cali, went to undergrad in Cali, but HAD to leave for medschool. Luckily there are quite a few CA programs. Thx for you input!

I can't tell you with much accuracy. I lived and worked in Orange County previously but was from another region. I applied to only UCSD and UCI. Got an interview at UCI but not UCSD.

I wound up recently getting engaged and ultimately negged on the UCI interview offer due to the cost of living.

I did have a friend who was bound and determined to go back to Cali to be nearer to her family. She actually ended up choosing psych just because it was easier to match in Cali than with the other specialty. She's at UCI now and had interviews at UCSD, Davis, San Mateo, USC and Loma Linda.

I'm always more of a play it safe kind of guy. Maybe toss in interviews in Arizona, Nevada or somewhere similar that would still be within driving distance?

Last edited:
Baylor College of Medicine
UT-Houston