Post your Verbal strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

limit

Molesting my inner-child
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think this would be most helpful for many. If any of you have tips on how to read the passage, system of marking it up, whether to read the questions first or not, etc...

Just post 'em and lets see what happens.

Members don't see this ad.

First a disclaimer: I haven't yet taken the MCAT.

I tried the Kaplan strategy and I think reading the questions first & marking are a waste of time. I've been following the EK strategy by first taking a 5 second mental break, read straight through the passages, keeping only the main idea in mind (don't focus on details) and then answering the questions.

Interestingly enough, in their book, EK gives you just the questions - no answers or passages - and then makes you read them and write an answer down that you think it would be. Then they give you the questions with the answers and I got almost all of them right. Has anyone else tried this? I want to try it with a few more passages and see if it continues working. I think their main point is that there is a lot of knowledge within the questions and answers that is very helpful but not usually used.

AAMC III I got a 8-9, but I haven't been focusing much on verbal yet and I have a lot of hope, so we'll see how it turns out. I did have plenty of time left over though, which is quite a change.

I think it would be a great idea to keep people updated on how scores are progressing with strategies. What do ya think?

check out the two "tweetie threads" there's one one "Deconstructing verbal" that seems to have helped a lot of people.