PostBac Classes Berkeley vs. CSU/State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pgoyal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was looking to take a chem+physio class to buffer my gpa and I can either

1. do it at UC berk (cost about 6k)
2. do it at csu/sanjose state/usf/etc for about 3k

I was also looking to get a letter from one of the professors.

Which would you recommend? Would it be okay to go to a "lower tier" university and get a rec from there so I can save some $$$.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as it's a 4-year school, they won't care. Remember, you'd be going to Berkeley-Extension, which wouldn't be regarded the same as the real Berkeley (though not to say classes would necessarily be easier).

ah i meant open enrollment - which is basically where you take the same UCB classes reg folks would take.

A letter from a prof at Berk vs. a letter from a prof at SFSU wont make a difference right? especially since i think a prof at SFSU will have more time to get to know me, etc.

appreciate the feedback.

Members don't see this ad :)
ah i meant open enrollment - which is basically where you take the same UCB classes reg folks would take.

A letter from a prof at Berk vs. a letter from a prof at SFSU wont make a difference right? especially since i think a prof at SFSU will have more time to get to know me, etc.

appreciate the feedback.
If you're going through open enrollment at SFSU, keep dreaming. You'll never get into the class, and even if you do, they will hardly know you as they have massive amounts of students.

thnx for the heads up man.
NP. Try Notre Dame De Namur. The post-bacc director is an MD from Stanford with good connections (apparently). I never attended the program due to cost, but it's pretty much equivalent in price to Berkeley/SFSU.

quick question, would a CC be okay? whats your take on an informal post bacc

i just need to take Physiology (i got a C in physio :-/) and GChem (took AP chem).

and also getting a letter from one of these physio/chem profs as one of my science letters. I already got 1 from my undergrad institution.

Last edited:
quick question, would a CC be okay? whats your take on an informal post bacc

i just need to take Physiology (i got a C in physio :-/) and GChem (took AP chem).

and also getting a letter from one of these physio/chem profs as one of my science letters. I already got 1 from my undergrad institution.
Since physiology is not a prerequisite and you've probably taken higher level chemistry with good grades and it's not a retake, I don't think a school will hold these against you for being at a CC. Unless you're trying to take advantage of DO grade replacement, retaking physiology would not be necessary if it's one of your only C's.

Nobody I've spoken to in admissions cares about informal vs. formal post-baccalaureate. They just care that you do well. The letter should not be a problem either.

Consider CSUEB (formerly CSUHayward). They have good bio and chem depts and the cost is much lower than at either UC or USF. The classes are also easier to get into than at CSUSF.

any idea how hard it is to get into SJSU classes?