postbac help

Started by Islande
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Islande

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there,

I just wanted to know if anyone could help me out with an issue I'm having. I used to be a bio major and took 3 general bio classes, general chem, and organic chem. In my bio classes, I got a b-, c+, c+, general chem b, c-, b, and ochem all c-'s =(.

At the time, I was considering becoming a researcher or working for a biotech company. However, I've come a long way from that and finally decided to pursue medicine, which is why I've been looking into postbac programs.

Now I am a Public Health major and my classes don't fulfill my premed requirements but I dont have the time to complete them within the next two years because I changed my major late and I have a packed schedule in order to graduate on time.

Are there any postbac programs that would take a student like me? I am the first in my family to go to college and I actively involved in many programs in URM communities.

I have also had my share of family hardships as an undergrad so there is a bad dip in my gpa during my sophomore yr but it has gotten much better since then, and I am working on it still.

If anyone could give me some advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
 
would medical school look down upon the fact that I retook these classes?


yes and no. they look worse than someone who got an A/B the first time around. but they look better than just keeping the C.
 
I'm hoping that it's around 3.3 if I do well each quarter here on out. I don't know if I'm making a bad decision or not here but am I going the wrong way with this? Do you think I would not get into a postbac with the situation I have now?