Postbac in home state vs. NYC (HELP!!!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDisforme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the debate I'm having and it is driving me CRAZY! I really would appreciate some honest outside opinions.

Here's my situation: Career changer with low gpa of 3.0 in Business (no sciences which means 1.5 years of postbac) from top tier undergrad. Told by most advisors I talk to that my circumstances during undergrad make my gpa more acceptable (as much as that's possible I guess). I'm hoping that, coupled with a killer postbac performance will give me an ok chance at med school, DO if necessary. Husband is 100% supportive. No matter what, he will be in NYC working while I do postbac, but will then move ANYWHERE I get into med school.

OPTION 1: Do postbac in home state (Vermont)
PROS
- Will be considered in-state to apply to UVM med school (already confirmed this with the school) = about 40% chance of getting accepted just based on being from VT and nothing else. The stats don't lie...
- Smaller classes for postbac, feel like I will do better in that atmosphere academically and with LOR's
- EC's will be done in VT which I assume will help with UVM admissions
- Will probably be a big nerd without husband around (no reason not to be in library 24/7)

CONS
- Away from husband and friends (which SUCKS)
- Have to live with parents in old bedroom (hello, flashbacks of highschool)

OPTION 2: Do postbac work (formal program if I can into one) in NYC
PROS
- With husband and friends = not lonely (YAY)
- In apt with all my furniture instead of old bedroom at parents
- Maybe considered NY resident? Don't know how much that will help with NY med schools

CONS
- Probably not considered VT resident = bye bye 40% chance of admission at UVM, hello 5% chance
- Concerned with big classes, harder to get to know professors

Thoughts anyone????

Being away from my husband for postbac seems like the "mature" thing to do. I will do whatever it takes to get to med school and VT seems like that. Yet, there is a reason I married my husband, I want to spend my life with him! 2 years apart is a lot! :(

Members don't see this ad.

I am starting the UVM program this summer. I think first of all have the discussion with your husband (im sure you have already), 2nd apply to the schools and see where you get in, then 3rd worry about which program to choose. No sense in worrying if you havent even applied yet. Also depending on your opinion of medicine (how and what you want to practice) UVM post bac linkage offers a guaranteed interview at UNE (DO). So UVM would be able to offer you increased preference at 2 schools!

If you end up in Columbia's or NYU's post bac and use a linkage, you'll have a 100% chance of going to a med school. Based on their published success rates alone, you'll have a greater than 40% chance if you do well, which is a must anywhere. If you get NY residency, you'll have many more in-state schools to apply to. Getting LORs is the same anywhere. You'll have many more opportunities for high quality EC's in NYC than in VT. And your quality of life will be better in NYC. Seems to me that unless you're really hung up on going to UVM med school (couldn't your husband be in NYC while you're in medical school anyways?), you'll be at no true disadvantage doing your post-bac in NY. Maybe you'll even have an advantage in NYC depending on the program.

Apply to programs in VT and NYC and make the decision once you know where you got in--some of the higher quality programs might be tougher to get into with a 3.0. UVM's program or Bennington in VT seem like good choices. Otherwise, Columbia, NYU, and Hunter in NYC. Definitely do a formal program in NYC over an informal post-bac in VT, IMHO.

I am very fortunate to have been able to do my postbac where my family, friends and fiance are, but I know plenty of people who left their homes to do their postbac and I think for a lot of people it can be very hard. Going back to school, no matter what your background, is hard, especially if you have been out for a while. In particular, going back and taking sciences when you have never taken them in a university setting can be particularly challenging. It's a lot of work and it can be stressful at times. In my opinion, leaving behind your support group (husband and friends) at this point in your life would make things very hard. Never before in my life have I been so grateful to come home to a warm and loving household as during my first semester in postbac. Of course this isn't to say that you couldn't handle things on your own (and with the support of your parents) and its wonderful how supportive your husband is, but I would seriously consider what effect your emotional state could have on your academic performance. The reasons you listed for staying in Vermont are good, but I would put your emotional well-being first.

Good luck whatever you do!