Postbac necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctornobody77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in doing a postbac SMP but not sure if I need one. I just graduated with a physiology degree with a cGPA of 3.2 and BCPM GPA of 3.2. I have a strong upward trend going from 2.6 freshmen year to a 3.9 senior year.

I have experience working in two separate labs (300h and 500h), one of which I am getting in the acknowledgements section on a paper (does that account for anything?)
I have volunteer experience in a hospital between 2-300h by the end of the summer.
I have volunteer community service throughout this summer and through my fraternity.
No MCAT score as of yet.

thats basically it for all my extracurriculars so now that I have graduated I am applying for lab jobs and looking into scribe positions for next year while I study for the MCAT.

any suggestions on what I need to do to apply this year/ next year? I am thinking SMP but I have shown strong upward trend in science classes.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

also if SMP, is it fine to do one of these after being a year out of college? also which SMP would you suggest?

It will partly depend on your MCAT score - a very good score could give you a chance at lower-tier schools, but any MCAT score around average will make your GPA worth improving. So I would strongly recommend at least taking the MCAT before devoting time to a program.

yeah i was thinking that the MCAT would be the determining factor. I wont be ready to take until january. any SMP u would suggest?