Postbac necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

doctornobody77

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am interested in doing a postbac SMP but not sure if I need one. I just graduated with a physiology degree with a cGPA of 3.2 and BCPM GPA of 3.2. I have a strong upward trend going from 2.6 freshmen year to a 3.9 senior year.

I have experience working in two separate labs (300h and 500h), one of which I am getting in the acknowledgements section on a paper (does that account for anything?)
I have volunteer experience in a hospital between 2-300h by the end of the summer.
I have volunteer community service throughout this summer and through my fraternity.
No MCAT score as of yet.

thats basically it for all my extracurriculars so now that I have graduated I am applying for lab jobs and looking into scribe positions for next year while I study for the MCAT.

any suggestions on what I need to do to apply this year/ next year? I am thinking SMP but I have shown strong upward trend in science classes.

Thanks!
 
It will partly depend on your MCAT score - a very good score could give you a chance at lower-tier schools, but any MCAT score around average will make your GPA worth improving. So I would strongly recommend at least taking the MCAT before devoting time to a program.

yeah i was thinking that the MCAT would be the determining factor. I wont be ready to take until january. any SMP u would suggest?