PostBac or Pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

EastSide

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello.
I recently graduated with a BS in Kinesiology.
I have been accepted into DPT programs and is expected to start on June 2016.
Now, however, I am steering away from DPT and would like to nurture my desire on becoming a physician.
I won't waste time writing the reason why I want to make the switch, for I have discussed this in other threads.

My dilemma is between going to a post-bacc (career changer) or taking the required medical school pre-req courses as a non-matriculated student in the same institution I got my bachelor degree in.

My current situation: I have taken the required General Chemistry 1&2 and Physics 1&2. I have taken General Biology, however for the non-biology major (does not fulfill the med school pre-req).
Therefore, I only have 50% of my pre-reqs completed.

Due to this, some career changing post bacc program told me that I am NOT eligible for their program.
Some, told me as long as it stays 50%, I can still apply for the program.

The main reason why I'd like to take the post bacc route is due to the linkage option that some programs offer. I believe, this is my best chance of me getting into medical school. Taking Pre-Reqs at undergraduate is definitely cheaper, but I will be competing with a cohort of traditional pre-med students (upper level bio, research publications, tons of clinical hours).

Anyone go through a linkage offered by a specific post bacc?
Any advice on the likelihood of my chance on even getting into post bacc, let alone a linkage conditional agreement?
Will medical school question why I took the "career changer" option when I had half already done (due to repeating classes)?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you.