Postbac Questions! Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringDoctor9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hihi guys!

I'm honestly needing a bit of advice - here is my situation.

I just graduated with a BA in sociology before I was expecting to. I thought I'd have a 5th year to complete my science courses for med school, but my school decided I had too many units and forced me to graduate. That being said, I have 2 quarters of organic chemistry and one quarter of physics to complete. My overall GPA is fine (3.6-3.7), but my science GPA is a bit lacking (3.2-3.3). I would like a chance to take some more science classes, but don't know where to do this. Should I go to the local JC to finish ochem and physics (even though my local JC is flooded with people due to state budgetary issues - I'm in California), try and finish a 2nd batchelor's, or enter a formal postbac program (most likely at a private university for a lot of money)? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on what programs would be good for me? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What I would do is call or email someone at the office of admissions to the places you're thinking of applying to. When I applied at COMP/Western, one of the admissions people told me it doesn't matter where I fill out those requirements; but rather it was more important that I take those classes while enrolled as a full time student to show that I could get grades under a full courseload. Even in CA, ochem and physics shouldn't be too tough to get into, but I'm just guessing; I haven't actually looked. Enrolling at a formal private post-bacc program will be expensive, considering what relatively few classes you've got to finish. However, there are some public post-baccs running out of CA that should be cheaper; search this site: http://services.aamc.org/postbac/
I'm far from an admissions rep, but I would again stress simply getting A's in your remaining classes as a full-time student; that's hard enough! Anymore questions, don't hesitate to drop me a PM.