Postbac Students - Heavy Schedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WYNN86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if any of you postbac students could give me a rough guideline on how many hours a week you spend in class? (Not studying as I can do this at home)

I'm hoping to apply for either a pre-dent program as opposed to diy and am just trying to budget for daycare for my little one.

Obviously all programs are different (I'm apllying Dallas FTWTH area) but just a general example would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much.:love:

Members don't see this ad.

The number of hours you spend a week in class depends on numerous factors, and you didn't provide enough info that describes what your current situation is and how fast you want to get into d-school.

For instance:
What d-school pre-reqs do you still need to take?
Do you want to finish all the pre-reqs classes in 1 or two years?
When do you plan on taking the DAT?

Do you plan on taking a few upper level bio classes in addition to a few electives? Some d-schools require a few certain social science and humanities courses.
Don't forget to factor in time for dental shadowing, volunteer work, and extra-curricular activities.

The first three questions are by far the most important to determine your numbers of hours in class and studying.

Sorry you're right, here is the info I didn't include.

I want to complete my prereqs in 1 year

I NEED English, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, Biochemistry and Biology.

Histology, Anatomy and Microbiology are some other subjects I am considering to enhance my application (I've done a degree in history which included Sociology as part of its makeup to provide my humanties/social sciences aspect to my application.)

I'm hoping to take the DAT soon but I can study for that at home so it isn't really a problem. I just need to have an idea on how much time I'll be spending actually in class.

Thanks Ron Jeremy :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
1 year might be a bit eager. It's possible your school may not let you take Organic chem without taking inorganic chem first. If you're looking at trying to do ALL your prereqs in one year, it might be possible, but I would say extremely difficult. You'd be taking your bio, physics, and two kinds of chemistry pretty much every quarter. All those classes are lab intensive. I suggest you plan on two years so you don't burn out.

Lemoncurry thanks that's definately worth a lot of thought. My only issue is that it'll take another year before I can apply to dental schools. If that's wrong please correct me, I assumed you had to have achieved all your pre-req's before applying not just have almost completed them.
Thanks

I'm not 100% sure, but i think you only need to have completed them by the time you matriculate, not in order to apply, but that's where I would check the individual schools.

Just from personal experience, I took orgo and physics at the same time, plus upper division biology courses for the entire year, and i found it a full load. The extra year might be worth it if you do better in all those classes.

You need to do summer sessions for chemistry to get them done in one year (since Gchem1-Ochem2 is 4 semesters). My school will let you start ochem after gchem1 but I don't think it's recommended.

I would get the subjects covered on the DAT out of the way first, you can always do biochem during the gap year (also if you're doing a formal post bacc I'm pretty sure biochem wouldn't be included anyway).

I'm doing a DIY postbac now and I spend about 16 hours a week in class. Add in breaks and I'm on campus about 23 hours per week. I took English and Physics in undergrad so I'm taking A&P w/lab and a professional communications class. Studying and writing lab reports is probably 10-15 hours/week, more if there's an exam. I can usually get my lab reports done while on campus between classes.

Also, as others have mentioned, don't forget about volunteering/shadowing/Ec's (I'm sure less is expected if you're caring for a child but they'll still want to see some shadowing/exposure to the field)

Good luck!

I don't think a year would be a good idea. It would require a full load in the summer with one of your chemistry courses which may haunt you around DAT time plus most schools won't let you into biochem without all of the chems. Plus if your grades are bad, your looking at another year of post-bacc anyway... just my 2 cents.

I think trying to complete your pre-req in one year would be a little tough. Like some has said, some schools do not allow you to take ochem w/o finishing gchem first. My school didn't allow me to do so. Here's what your schedule would look like to be able to complete the required pre-req in one year:

Semester 1: fall
a) gchem 1
b) bio 1
c) phys 1

Semester 2: spring
a) gchem 2
b) bio 2
c) phys 2

Semester 3: summer
a) ochem1

semester 4: fall
a) ochem 2
b) other science classes

semester 5: spring
a) study for DAT
b) write personal statement
c) other science classes
d) application opens around May

So it might just take you a little over a year to finish up the pre-reqs and some additional science classes. BTW, I don't think you will be able to take biochem w/o finishing ochem. I might be wrong. My school requires ochem to be completed first, so check w/ your school. Hope this helps. Good luck.

WYNN86,
Here's what a 1-year timeline would look like assuming:
1- you will go to school full-time
2- you have plenty of money/loans/credit
3- you get all A's & B's in your science classes
4- you get 3 Letters of Rec from at least 2 science profs
5- you won't get distracted by your responsibilities at home
6- you realize that in these science pre-reqs, A's are only given to the top 10-15% of the class.

Summer of 2008
- Gen Chem with lab (this is full-time, prepare for a miserable summer)
Finishing Gen Chem over the summer is mandatory since it is a pre-req to O-Chem, and it will be needed for Gen Bio
- 3 hours of lecture in the morning
- 3 hours of lab in the afternoon (3 days a week)
- 3-5 hours a night studying and writing labs
- studying through the weekend

Fall Semester of 2008
- Gen Bio I with lab (many people underestimate how hard this class can be)
- Physics I with lab (hard topic conceptually for many pre-meds & pre-dents)
- Orgonic Chem I with lab (the class that ends the medical and dental dream for thousands of students every year)
- English class
- You will have no social life, studying 7 days a week
- You will be in class all day

Spring Semester of 2009
- Gen Bio II with lab
- Physics II with lab
- Biochem (most d-schools don't require Orgo II and will allow BioChem as a substitute. That is what I did)
- Start studying for the DAT
- Start dental shadowing
- Start volunteering
- Get involved in some dental society related extra-curriculars
- Start brown-nosing profs for rec letters
- You will have no social life, studying 7 days a week
- You will be in class all day

May-June of 2009
- Apply for D-school through AADSAS
- This process requires a ton of hours writing essays, getting rec letters, filling out the forms online, etc
- Reading a ton of d-school websites
- TAKE THE DAT!!!!
- Take Anatomy or any other upper level bio class
- The DAT and AADSAS will cost you about $2000-$3000

Fall of 2009
- Histology
- Microbiology
- Interview for d-schools

Dec. 1st, 2009 - Mid Summer 2010
- Wait for a d-school acceptance

August 2010
- You're now a dental student.

If you can get all A's & B's in these classes and you can score a 20 or higher on the DAT, you will get several interviews prior to Dec. 1st.

If you get a 3.0 in these classes and you get a 17 or 18 on the DAT, you will be praying for one interview in the fall, and the chances of getting a Dec. 1st acceptance is low.

Then, you will be anxiously waiting for left-over interviews in Winter and Spring of 2010.

Hope this helps