Nov 28, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi. My undergrad gpa is 3.0. I took biochem, mol bio and physiology.
I got DAT AA21/ TS 21(Gchem 22, Ochem 20, Bio 21)/ PAT 24/ RC 21 / QR 21. Do you think I have to retake DAT?
So I am planning to take Special Sciences post bac in Upenn.
If I do well the courses in the program for a year, do you think I can have a chance to go into a dental school and boost up my GPA? any alternatives from you guys?

Is there a linkage between UPENN post bac and Upenn dental school?

Please respond to this post asap.

Aug 14, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Hmmmm I just graduated from Upenn for undergrad and I dont know where you go, but I think its a known fact at my school that our science professors are like out to fail us.....or so thats what the students say. Im sure thats not their ACTUAL intention but most of the class averages in my classes were in the 60's and the professors would tell us this up front on the first day of class. So if you were a bio major youd basically be being screwed very often by ur classes. Alot of my friends and i ended up with lower gpas (ie i have a -2.77 sgpa) and ended up having to do postbaccs, and no none of us are doing them at penn. The dental schools i want to go to, i spoke to them about my situation and they actually suggested where and at what schools i do a post bacc at within my town. So the point is, you need to have the gpa requirement for dental school, its kind of a numbers game.....you need to just get good grades (ie-amazing grades, ie- straight 4.0s) wheerver you go.
gluck
From a previous thread.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=10324679

Your DAT scores are pretty good, not bad at all. But if you think you can do much better, redo it and it might help your application. But still, GPA is always the most important factor.

Did you apply this cycle?

Last edited:

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
Hi. My undergrad gpa is 3.0. I took biochem, mol bio and physiology.
I got DAT AA21/ TS 21(Gchem 22, Ochem 20, Bio 21)/ PAT 24/ RC 21 / QR 21. Do you think I have to retake DAT?
So I am planning to take Special Sciences post bac in Upenn.
If I do well the courses in the program for a year, do you think I can have a chance to go into a dental school and boost up my GPA? any alternatives from you guys?

Is there a linkage between UPENN post bac and Upenn dental school?

Please respond to this post asap.
Just to give you prospective. My undergrad GPA was 3.0 (with 136 credits).... I had to take 54 credits of post-bacc with perfect 4.0 to raise it to 3.3

molar3

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2010
Status
No, there is no linkage between the dental school and upenn post bacc. although there is an affiliation with the medical school i believe. I applied to this program as well. Im sure if you do well you can boost your gpa and get in. Upenn is hard in the sciences to get straight 4.0s, but psh more power too you if you think you can do it. I went to penn undergrad and also applied to this program (which is good in theory, as you just get a certficiate, no degree) but I'm not going there to do my postbacc bc obviouslyyy penn isnt the place for me to be raising my gpa.
gluck buddy