Postbacc and MD chances?

Started by agendas
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

agendas

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a non-traditional elder (okay, I’m 31) who is considering post-bacc. I wanted to know how I look for med school.

Me: 31, white, female, first-generation college. Living abroad but technically IL resident.

School:
  • MPH in epidemiology at a T5 school. GPA 3.8ish. Significant coursework in statistics.
  • Undergrad: Large university in DC, 2006-2009 (graduated a year early), BA in poli sci, GPA 3.7ish. No science.
  • High school: Hilariously required for post-bacc apps. SAT was 2200/2400, ACT 33, 5 on AP Chem, 5 on AP Calc BC.

Work/research:
  • I work for [big international organization] as an epi. I have been living in a refugee camp for the last year working on a variety of. I recently did a detachment working on Ebola.
  • Previously I worked at [big government organization] as an epidemiologist in a prestigious fellowship working on HIV. I also worked on epi research in several outbreaks outside the US.
  • I have a few publications in a top 3 medical journal (third author), and a handful in decent ID / trop med journals (second/third author). One first author pub in a low-impact journal and one under review for a medium/high-impact journal. Primary writer to some [government organization] reports and guidelines.
  • Before that, other NGOs for international health programs abroad. Mostly US-based but some work abroad (1-3 months at a time).

Volunteering:
  • I volunteered a lot when I lived in the US (most recently, doing homeless outreach and tutoring refugees) but I have been living in a refugee camp and there’s not really volunteer opportunities.
  • Previous volunteer work –rape crisis counselor, work with homeless in previous cities.

Up next:
  • Talking to doctors I know about their work. Going to rounds in the health center we run here.
  • I will take international assignments with [big international organization] for the next year and save money.
  • I plan to apply to post-baccs at Goucher, Bryn Mawr, and Hopkins, and enter post-bacc 2020. I would like to link somewhere and avoid a glide year.

Questions:
  • What are my chances at Goucher / Bryn Mawr / Hopkins?
  • What are my chances for linkage?
  • Do I need to shadow people?
  • What about clinical stuff? I have clinical exposure through my work but nothing formal and not in the US. Is this necessary? If so, will it be sufficient to cover this during a post-bacc year?
  • Volunteering: I don’t have a ton of opportunity to do so right now. Will my previous history and anything I do during post-bacc be sufficient?
  • Extracurriculars: Good lord, do I really have to report on extracurriculars from ten years ago? In college I was president of debate and did national competitions.
  • What else should I keep in mind to beef things up?
 
What are my chances for linkage?
That depends upon how well you do in the post-bac and MCAT

Do I need to shadow people?
Yes.

What about clinical stuff? I have clinical exposure through my work but nothing formal and not in the US. Is this necessary? If so, will it be sufficient to cover this during a post-bacc year?
You need to see how things are done here. Just 100 hrs and your fine. Your overseas work will NOT be viewed as medical tourism!!!
'

Volunteering: I don’t have a ton of opportunity to do so right now. Will my previous history and anything I do during post-bacc be sufficient?
Your service to others less fortunate is platinum. That sound you hear off in the distance is @Walter Raleigh drooling (inside joke among SDNers)

Extracurriculars: Good lord, do I really have to report on extracurriculars from ten years ago? In college I was president of debate and did national competitions.
You h=only have so much space. Leave it for the best.