Postbacc BU, NYU, TUFTS, or COLUMBIA??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SwanksButler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI!!!!!

Im thinking of applying to a postbacc program soon. Im graduating From UCONN Honors Program with a 3.2 - 3.3 gpa.... Im looking at the postbacc options for career changers... what are my chances of getting into postbaccs at . I've read on numerous threads that columbia takes everyone with a 3.0.... but hey, im not expert Lol :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

HI!!!!!

Im thinking of applying to a postbacc program soon. Im graduating From UCONN Honors Program with a 3.2 - 3.3 gpa.... Im looking at the postbacc options for career changers... what are my chances of getting into postbaccs at . I've read on numerous threads that columbia takes everyone with a 3.0.... but hey, im not expert Lol :laugh:

Wow! Expensive places! Where do you get the money from? You mentioned a career change; what career are you leaving behind?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes - of those 4, for career-changers.... I would chose, none.

HES is clearly the better option - both academically and financially

@rob, can I ask what you mean by that? I'm new to all this, and curious about the initial impression being a career changer creates. Is it just that having switched paths once already, you don't consider a full, expensive postbac to be a worthy investment?

I dont consider those 4 to be worth it - no, there are better and cheaper options for career-changers.

Welcome to SDN and the post-bac world, do some reading here and you'll figure out things. If you have more Qs feel free to PM one of the regulars, or post it in an appropriate thread

Thanks everyone... but if you look at my original post, Im asking admission INTO these programs.. not necessarily personal opinions of the programs...theses arent the only programs i am applying to - i am just curious about gpa requirements for admission into these programs.

i got into NYU with a 3.31 Gpa from a state school.

Hey! I'm a Columbia student and I don't think that they really take everyone with a 3.0. It says on the website that a 3.0 is the minimum to apply (from here:http://www.gs.columbia.edu/postbac/applying-postbac) but I think that the average GPA of incoming students is in the mid 3.0 range (like 3.4-3.6), according to the information session about the program.

Hey! I'm a Columbia student and I don't think that they really take everyone with a 3.0. It says on the website that a 3.0 is the minimum to apply (from here:http://www.gs.columbia.edu/postbac/applying-postbac) but I think that the average GPA of incoming students is in the mid 3.0 range (like 3.4-3.6), according to the information session about the program.

Thank You!! How are you doing in the program?

@rob, right, but why the particular distinction between what's worthwhile for career changers vs. other postbac students?

Harvard Extension School prices their post-bacc classes at $1200/class
Columbia, NYU prices their's at ~$4800/class

HES is also a lot more bare-boned w.r.t. amenities and guidance they give. That is, if you want help from the program and are looking for EC's, nobody is going to hold your hand and tell you what to do. You have to actively seek out and set up meetings with Dr. Fixsen (the head of the program) and search for EC's yourself. This isn't too hard with all the teaching hospitals in the area as well as periodical e-mails the program sends out about open opportunities.

Also, skim through threads here for HES and other post-bacc programs to get an idea of what each is about.

Harvard Extension School prices their post-bacc classes at $1200/class
Columbia, NYU prices their's at ~$4800/class

HES is also a lot more bare-boned w.r.t. amenities and guidance they give. That is, if you want help from the program and are looking for EC's, nobody is going to hold your hand and tell you what to do. You have to actively seek out and set up meetings with Dr. Fixsen (the head of the program) and search for EC's yourself. This isn't too hard with all the teaching hospitals in the area as well as periodical e-mails the program sends out about open opportunities.

Also, skim through threads here for HES and other post-bacc programs to get an idea of what each is about.

Wow did you do this program?

@rob, right, but why the particular distinction between what's worthwhile for career changers vs. other postbac students?
Cathy - i'm not sure you really have done enough reading; it sounds like you don't understand the terms correctly.

PM me if you'd like to discuss further