postbacc grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pompompurin

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys
very specific question
is it horrible not to get As on classes you are retaking at a postbacc institution? Particularly if its not as high ranked as your previous undergrad?

I recently received a B+ in organic chem I and had a C- as my undergrad orgo grade...

Thanks
 
I think the general consensus is that you should get "mostly A's" for your post-bacc work. The grade for a retake should really be an A because they will probably figure since this is the second time you have taken the class that it should be easier.
 
I retook so many of my science classes more than once because I couldn't get past that dreaded C.

When I did my post-bacc 3 years after graduating college. These are the grades I got. I got into osteopathic medical school no problem

Biochem: B prior (D,D)
Org I :B prior (W,F,D,C)
Org II :B prior (D)
Org lab :B the first time
Chem I :A prior (C,C,C)
Chem II :A prior (D,C)
Physic I :A Prior (W,D,B-)
Physic II :A prior (D,C)
Stats: :B only took once
Calc I :B (W,D)
Bio I :A (C,C)

I think that should give you some hope. The thing is that I knew I would not get into any top programs so I assessed my chances and applied accordingly. I knew medical school was a long shot so I was not picky about where I went. Keep plugging.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cabinbuilder said:
I retook so many of my science classes more than once because I couldn't get past that dreaded C.

When I did my post-bacc 3 years after graduating college. These are the grades I got. I got into osteopathic medical school no problem

Biochem: B prior (D,D)
Org I :B prior (W,F,D,C)
Org II :B prior (D)
Org lab :B the first time
Chem I :A prior (C,C,C)
Chem II :A prior (D,C)
Physic I :A Prior (W,D,B-)
Physic II :A prior (D,C)
Stats: :B only took once
Calc I :B (W,D)
Bio I :A (C,C)

I think that should give you some hope. The thing is that I knew I would not get into any top programs so I assessed my chances and applied accordingly. I knew medical school was a long shot so I was not picky about where I went. Keep plugging.
hey Cabinbuilder,

thanks for your informative post! It really does inspire pple to know that they can still make it. If possible, could u help me out by answering a few q's:
-did you retake those science courses while in the post-bacc or in undergrad b4 applying for the post-bacc?
-also, which type of post-bacc did u enter? I know there are different kinds based on the student's needs.
-did u only have problems with ur undergrad science courses or with most courses in general?

Thanks for all the help!
 
cabinbuilder said:
I retook so many of my science classes more than once because I couldn't get past that dreaded C.

When I did my post-bacc 3 years after graduating college. These are the grades I got. I got into osteopathic medical school no problem
I think that should give you some hope. The thing is that I knew I would not get into any top programs so I assessed my chances and applied accordingly. I knew medical school was a long shot so I was not picky about where I went. Keep plugging.
Just bear in mind that allopathic schools tend to not be as forgiving about multiple retakes, and all get averaged into your GPA.