Postbacc program for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BP4over

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone can lend some advice. I'm looking for a little guidance as to where I should go. Originally coming into college and through the first 2 years of undergrad, I wanted to be a physician and go to DO school. Unfortunately throughout my third year, the thought of having to go to school an additional 4-5+ years following undergrad wasn't so appealing to me. In addition, my grades aren't exactly up to par, but aren't horrible. I've finished all my pre-med requirements through my first 3 years of undergrad and am currently going to be entering my 4th year. My major is kinesiology with a minor in HPA (health policy administration). Odds are with the classes I still need to take that I'll be in undergrad school for a 5th year. Now, I still want to do something medically/health related, but am not 100% sure what. I was thinking about possibly PA school, but cannot yet fully commit myself. Would a postbacc program be something I should look more into? Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully someone can lend some advice. I'm looking for a little guidance as to where I should go. Originally coming into college and through the first 2 years of undergrad, I wanted to be a physician and go to DO school. Unfortunately throughout my third year, the thought of having to go to school an additional 4-5+ years following undergrad wasn't so appealing to me. In addition, my grades aren't exactly up to par, but aren't horrible. I've finished all my pre-med requirements through my first 3 years of undergrad and am currently going to be entering my 4th year. My major is kinesiology with a minor in HPA (health policy administration). Odds are with the classes I still need to take that I'll be in undergrad school for a 5th year. Now, I still want to do something medically/health related, but am not 100% sure what. I was thinking about possibly PA school, but cannot yet fully commit myself. Would a postbacc program be something I should look more into? Thanks everyone.

Do you have any experience working in the health field, like as an EMT, or even shadowing? It might be a good idea to spend a significant amount of time shadowing a DO, PA, NP, or even exercise physiologist just to get an idea of what your life might be like.

I think I'd go from there and then decide on a post-bacc program. Good luck! :luck:

Do you have any experience working in the health field, like as an EMT, or even shadowing? It might be a good idea to spend a significant amount of time shadowing a DO, PA, NP, or even exercise physiologist just to get an idea of what your life might be like.

I think I'd go from there and then decide on a post-bacc program. Good luck! :luck:

Thanks a lot for your input and advice! I've shadowed a DO previously and have worked in an autonomic neurophysiology lab. This upcoming school year I was actually selected to be in a clinical volunteer program where the first semester I take a class once a week and the second semester I work at the University Health Services working alongside physicians and PA's treating patients. Outside of that, I'm in the process of receiving my personal training certification from ACSM (american college of sports medicine).