PostBacc Question

Started by LucAlb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LucAlb

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

I had wanted to post this in the "What Are My Chances" thread currently going on, but since its a bit more specific I hope this would be the right place.

To make a long story short I wanted to apply for pharm schools this fall, but I'm extremely hesitant because of my undergrad GPA. When I graduated around two years ago, the overall was around a 3.08 and the science was around a dismal 2.9. Since then I've took a couple of classes in local community colleges and finished off all my necessary pre-reqs, and the overall GPA is now around a 3.1, science around 2.93, better but still not as high as I hoped for.

My questions is this. I have consulted with some friends from med. school with a similar situation as me, namely below average GPAs, who managed to get accepted into their schools after having enrolled in Post Bacc programs for 1-2 years to boost their GPAs. They recommended me to do that, claiming that during that 1-2 year period gave the GPA boost they needed, and then some, so that they became much more competitive as a result. However, currently I am working at a pharmacy and also doing contract research for a local biotech startup, and do not have the time for Post Bacc programs. If I were to enroll in one, I will have to quit either my pharmacy position or my contract research one, if not both. Is my current GPA low enough that enrollment in a Post Bacc program (considering its upsides and downsides) is warranted?

For a greater picture, here the stats I posted in the WAMC thread:

GPA:
3.10 overall.
2.9 science/Math. Bad 1st and 2nd years. Just didn't have the right attitude and work ethic during that time. I finally bit my tongue and 3rd /4th year GPA were better, around 3.2-3.6 range, but still underwhelming in certain semesters.

Pharmacy Experience:
Shadowed a couple clinical pharmacists for a week. Attended a Pre-Pharm conference last year. No volunteering. Certified PharmTech. Finally got accepted to a local pharmacy last month and has been working there ever since. Hopefully I can keep the job for the rest of this year and next. Edit: Currently working the pharmacy as a clerk with possible switch to a technician position in late summer/early Fall


Other Extracurriculars:
I am not sure how much it'll help me out. Since I was a Bio major I spent most of my time in research labs. I worked in 5 different labs in the past 5 years (1.5 lab per year, if that makes sense). Subjects ranged from diabetes, HIV, to turtle genetics. Most recently I was a cell culture tech for a local uni. which lasted for one year (2009). Edit: Currently a contract technician for a biotech startup. During my time at Berkeley, I spent 3 years as a volunteer tutor for local schools, teaching kids science. I also volunteered monthly as a medical translator for HIV clinics ( really great experience, wish I could have started earlier) for around a year before I graduated. Also worked at some odd jobs (telemarketer, typist) here and there.

PCAT:
Took it last year. 80 composite. 80 science and 80 verbal (rather interesting coincidence)

LORs:

1 letter from a postdoc I worked with for over 1.5 years. I know her and respect her greatly, so most probably a "good" letter.
1 from a microbio professor where I did well in his class, probably a decent letter.
1 from a history professor whose course I did well in. I would say its decent.
Last but not least, if my boss is satisfied with me in another 3-4 months, I may get a letter from the pharmacist I'm currently working under.
Thanks for any help and advice,


LucAlb
 
Hi All,

I had wanted to post this in the "What Are My Chances" thread currently going on, but since its a bit more specific I hope this would be the right place.

To make a long story short I wanted to apply for pharm schools this fall, but I'm extremely hesitant because of my undergrad GPA. When I graduated around two years ago, the overall was around a 3.08 and the science was around a dismal 2.9. Since then I've took a couple of classes in local community colleges and finished off all my necessary pre-reqs, and the overall GPA is now around a 3.1, science around 2.93, better but still not as high as I hoped for.

My questions is this. I have consulted with some friends from med. school with a similar situation as me, namely below average GPAs, who managed to get accepted into their schools after having enrolled in Post Bacc programs for 1-2 years to boost their GPAs. They recommended me to do that, claiming that during that 1-2 year period gave the GPA boost they needed, and then some, so that they became much more competitive as a result. However, currently I am working at a pharmacy and also doing contract research for a local biotech startup, and do not have the time for Post Bacc programs. If I were to enroll in one, I will have to quit either my pharmacy position or my contract research one, if not both. Is my current GPA low enough that enrollment in a Post Bacc program (considering its upsides and downsides) is warranted?

For a greater picture, here the stats I posted in the WAMC thread:

Thanks for any help and advice,


LucAlb

Why don't you apply and see what happens?
 
I don't sit on any admission committee, but I would consider you competitive. It doesn't hurt to apply so like charfdorn said you should apply and see.

You never know what adcoms are looking for. You have a lot of experience in other things that many applicants don't have so you may stand out for that fact. Your GPA and PCAT were not terrible so I feel like you have a good shot. I know people with lower GPAs and PCATs that have gotten in. You may just want to apply to more schools, even consider out of state. The post-bac, I feel would be wasting your money.