PostBacc Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LucAlb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I had wanted to post this in the "What Are My Chances" thread currently going on, but since its a bit more specific I hope this would be the right place.

To make a long story short I wanted to apply for pharm schools this fall, but I'm extremely hesitant because of my undergrad GPA. When I graduated around two years ago, the overall was around a 3.08 and the science was around a dismal 2.9. Since then I've took a couple of classes in local community colleges and finished off all my necessary pre-reqs, and the overall GPA is now around a 3.1, science around 2.93, better but still not as high as I hoped for.

My questions is this. I have consulted with some friends from med. school with a similar situation as me, namely below average GPAs, who managed to get accepted into their schools after having enrolled in Post Bacc programs for 1-2 years to boost their GPAs. They recommended me to do that, claiming that during that 1-2 year period gave the GPA boost they needed, and then some, so that they became much more competitive as a result. However, currently I am working at a pharmacy and also doing contract research for a local biotech startup, and do not have the time for Post Bacc programs. If I were to enroll in one, I will have to quit either my pharmacy position or my contract research one, if not both. Is my current GPA low enough that enrollment in a Post Bacc program (considering its upsides and downsides) is warranted?

For a greater picture, here the stats I posted in the WAMC thread:

GPA:
3.10 overall.
2.9 science/Math. Bad 1st and 2nd years. Just didn't have the right attitude and work ethic during that time. I finally bit my tongue and 3rd /4th year GPA were better, around 3.2-3.6 range, but still underwhelming in certain semesters.

Pharmacy Experience:
Shadowed a couple clinical pharmacists for a week. Attended a Pre-Pharm conference last year. No volunteering. Certified PharmTech. Finally got accepted to a local pharmacy last month and has been working there ever since. Hopefully I can keep the job for the rest of this year and next. Edit: Currently working the pharmacy as a clerk with possible switch to a technician position in late summer/early Fall

Other Extracurriculars:
I am not sure how much it'll help me out. Since I was a Bio major I spent most of my time in research labs. I worked in 5 different labs in the past 5 years (1.5 lab per year, if that makes sense). Subjects ranged from diabetes, HIV, to turtle genetics. Most recently I was a cell culture tech for a local uni. which lasted for one year (2009). Edit: Currently a contract technician for a biotech startup. During my time at Berkeley, I spent 3 years as a volunteer tutor for local schools, teaching kids science. I also volunteered monthly as a medical translator for HIV clinics ( really great experience, wish I could have started earlier) for around a year before I graduated. Also worked at some odd jobs (telemarketer, typist) here and there.

PCAT:
Took it last year. 80 composite. 80 science and 80 verbal (rather interesting coincidence)

LORs:

1 letter from a postdoc I worked with for over 1.5 years. I know her and respect her greatly, so most probably a "good" letter.
1 from a microbio professor where I did well in his class, probably a decent letter.
1 from a history professor whose course I did well in. I would say its decent.
Last but not least, if my boss is satisfied with me in another 3-4 months, I may get a letter from the pharmacist I'm currently working under.
Thanks for any help and advice,

LucAlb

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I had wanted to post this in the "What Are My Chances" thread currently going on, but since its a bit more specific I hope this would be the right place.

To make a long story short I wanted to apply for pharm schools this fall, but I'm extremely hesitant because of my undergrad GPA. When I graduated around two years ago, the overall was around a 3.08 and the science was around a dismal 2.9. Since then I've took a couple of classes in local community colleges and finished off all my necessary pre-reqs, and the overall GPA is now around a 3.1, science around 2.93, better but still not as high as I hoped for.

My questions is this. I have consulted with some friends from med. school with a similar situation as me, namely below average GPAs, who managed to get accepted into their schools after having enrolled in Post Bacc programs for 1-2 years to boost their GPAs. They recommended me to do that, claiming that during that 1-2 year period gave the GPA boost they needed, and then some, so that they became much more competitive as a result. However, currently I am working at a pharmacy and also doing contract research for a local biotech startup, and do not have the time for Post Bacc programs. If I were to enroll in one, I will have to quit either my pharmacy position or my contract research one, if not both. Is my current GPA low enough that enrollment in a Post Bacc program (considering its upsides and downsides) is warranted?

For a greater picture, here the stats I posted in the WAMC thread:

Thanks for any help and advice,

LucAlb

Why don't you apply and see what happens?

I don't sit on any admission committee, but I would consider you competitive. It doesn't hurt to apply so like charfdorn said you should apply and see.

You never know what adcoms are looking for. You have a lot of experience in other things that many applicants don't have so you may stand out for that fact. Your GPA and PCAT were not terrible so I feel like you have a good shot. I know people with lower GPAs and PCATs that have gotten in. You may just want to apply to more schools, even consider out of state. The post-bac, I feel would be wasting your money.