postbacc student advisment..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andrewc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I really need some advice on how I am to complete my prereq classes as efficiently and quickly as possible before applying for a Master's in Speech Pathology.

I am currently enrolled in USU's online program as a non-degree seeking student. My plan was to complete a few classes at USU and finish the last 4-5 classes at my local state college, as I felt that sitting in on the traditional classroom setting would make me a more well-rounded and stronger candidate when I apply for my Master's, though I am not sure if this is accurate. My situation has taken a complicated turn as not all the classes at USU are equivalent to the state college
classes. Because I would prefer to apply for a Master's in SLP sooner rather than later and also to keep the process simple, would it make more sense for me to change my status at USU to degree-seeking and finish up the courses at USU so I would not have to worry about prereq equivalencies between schools? I guess what I am wondering is, what is the advantage of me getting my second bachelor's degree in SLP as opposed to just completing the prereqs and applying for the MA?

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I really need some advice on how I am to complete my prereq classes as efficiently and quickly as possible before applying for a Master's in Speech Pathology.

I am currently enrolled in USU's online program as a non-degree seeking student. My plan was to complete a few classes at USU and finish the last 4-5 classes at my local state college, as I felt that sitting in on the traditional classroom setting would make me a more well-rounded and stronger candidate when I apply for my Master's, though I am not sure if this is accurate. My situation has taken a complicated turn as not all the classes at USU are equivalent to the state college
classes. Because I would prefer to apply for a Master's in SLP sooner rather than later and also to keep the process simple, would it make more sense for me to change my status at USU to degree-seeking and finish up the courses at USU so I would not have to worry about prereq equivalencies between schools? I guess what I am wondering is, what is the advantage of me getting my second bachelor's degree in SLP as opposed to just completing the prereqs and applying for the MA?

Thank you!!!

Most programs require that you either have your bachelor's in SLP or communicative disorders OR you have completed appropriate prereqs. Various programs differ a little in the prereqs they expect you to have completed. So I'm not sure if there really is an advantage to getting a second bachelors other than having a second bachelors. It's up to you. Many SLP grad programs admit students that have not done any prereqs and once the students starts school, they complete the pre reqs. If you have any questions about classes you have taken and if they meet the pre req standards, definitely ask the program director/coordinator. Hope this helps.