PostBacc worth it? If going to masters before applying to med school?

Started by cyitori
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cyitori

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GPA: 3.41/3.36, but I've been told from a couple of adcom members from different schools that I could add 0.1 to my gpa when comparing my gpa to other schools (like when calculating LizzyM). MCAT is 27, but I'm retaking this weekend. Ideally, I would be posting after I get my MCAT score, but I have to decide about my postbacc classes in a few days. FWIW, I've been scoring about 30-32 on TPR Practice Tests, and applying to medical school June 2014

I graduated last year, and I'm thinking about taking some classes here at my local state school. My cGPA/sGPA would increase to about 3.45/3.4 (which some may view as 3.54/3.5) by taking 2 additional classes. I can only take 2 because of current financial reasons.

But at the same time, I'm thinking of applying to some masters programs like the ones in category 2: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ms-smps-postbacs-et-al-june-2009-list.640302/ The reason is for 1) I see my gpa as borderline. From what I've read on sdn, true smps seems to fall under the 3.0-3.33 range. I still need that little push with my academics, however. I see the category 2 programs as a way to "beef up my app". 2) I'd really like to get away from my hometown. It's not the best. Going out of state for a masters is actually worth it to me. I'm aware of the costs.

I've seen posts asking if 0.01 and 0.02 gpa increase matters, and personally, I don't think so. But what about a 0.04 increase, and how do we a draw a line between what increase is or is not worth it? In addition, I'm planning on applying to a masters--how does that affect my decision whether the postbacc class is worth it? Or is it overkill?
 
Can you take more classes? maybe get a loan or something?

Also an SMP would be good, especially for some that encourage same-year applications like Georgetown. If you score high (32+), and do well in Georgetown then you can definitely have success throughout your masters.

If for whatever reasons you can only take 2 classes, then maybe the masters is the way to go.
 
I agree with the the above: go big or go home. While I think a cheaper SMP is in order than Georgetown, there certainly are ones that make your application even stronger. I have done what medical schools have told me to do ad nauseum, only to be told again that it is too little and they want more. The cycle has persisted at least two times now.

Of course, SMP is no walk in the park, so make sure you don't slack off because you have less to prove than others. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with the the above: go big or go home. While I think a cheaper SMP is in order than Georgetown, there certainly are ones that make your application even stronger. I have done what medical schools have told me to do ad nauseum, only to be told again that it is too little and they want more. The cycle has persisted at least two times now.

Of course, SMP is no walk in the park, so make sure you don't slack off because you have less to prove than others. 🙂

Are you implying that I should try to do the post-bacc AND the masters program?

Sorry to hear about your second cycle. Did you also do a SMP?
 
Are you implying that I should try to do the post-bacc AND the masters program?

Sorry to hear about your second cycle. Did you also do a SMP?
No no no, I was saying just to do an SMP only, as I don't see the benefit of doing a Masters. I am only speaking from personal experience, that if a school says it was just one small thing, like a small increment in GPA, they are lying and expect much more than whatever they told you come next application cycle.

Again, my advice is neither to do SMP or Master's. I'm just warning you not to just meet a school's supposed request for improvement.
 
Reading my post again, I realize it is a bit contradictory. So, to clarify, I agree that SMP is probably the safer bet, but remember this is coming from someone without an acceptance, and someone who listened to med schools' advice only to get them to say "yeah, well, you haven't changed enough even though you improved exactly to our specifications."