Postbacc

Started by ahragis
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ahragis

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I was recently accepted into a postbacc program at Penn. My sGPA is a 3.1 and cGPA is a 3.4. I was wondering if I should attend the postbacc and what the advantages of it are? How much will it boost my chances? If i get a high MCAT, do I need the program? Has anyone done a postbacc and can comment on its usefulness? How do medical schools view a postbacc?
 
I was recently accepted into a postbacc program at Penn. My sGPA is a 3.1 and cGPA is a 3.4. I was wondering if I should attend the postbacc and what the advantages of it are? How much will it boost my chances? If i get a high MCAT, do I need the program? Has anyone done a postbacc and can comment on its usefulness? How do medical schools view a postbacc?
Acceptance rates for different GPA-MCAT combinations:

Your individual chance will also depend on your GPA trend and other components of your application. Whether to pursue a post-bac will depend on your MCAT, and overall risk tolerance. The lower sGPA would give me some pause. An academic enhancement post-bac would allow you to raise your sGPA and cGPA, while continuing to show a (hopefully) positive upward trend (more recent academic performance is weighed more heavily). Post-bacs are essentially extensions of the undergrad experience and are looked upon highly if you do well in them. They offer a second chance for applicants who either did not pursue the prerequisite classes in college ("career changers"), or did not graduate with a competitive academic record ("academic enhancers").