postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vixen

I like members
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
posted July 02, 2001 01:43 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hey kids...it's been awhile, I hope everyone is well...I have a question...
So I applied to dental schools, didn't get in (for those of you who don't know, I f**ked up my first two years at Boston U and then transferred to SUNY Binghamton) and I applied to some postbacc programs (American Univ., American Int'l College, Hunter, City College and UMASS Boston). Does anyone know which of these are worthwhile or know anything about them...I'm trying to make a decision where to go...thank you
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Dear,

Dont be desperate. If you dont get into POst graduate Clinical programs try to getting into Non Clinical programs like TMJ sc. & Oral Pathology etc

you can see site www.dentalsite.cjb.net and click on allied dental fields & you will get list of all US Universities according to the subjects.

Good Luck,

Dr.Osamah
New York

Postbacc programs are for taking for the first time the academic predental requirements and/or improving the science GPA. They have nothing to do with getting clinical experience although some may help with that.

Since predental course requirements are almost always identical with premedical, preoptometry and prepodiatry requirements, any premed postbacc is as suitable as another for that purpose.

If you already have the preprofessional requirements and are seeking to improve the science GPA, you have to look in detail because may postbac programs only accept students who have taken none, or a very few, of the prerequisite courses.

Go to: www.hpap.syr.edu

which also has a link to an AAMC site for postbac programs.

Location and cost should first be considered; then, which colleges.

Other things being equal I would pick the larger colleges because, with a larger population of applicants they have more of a track record with the professional schools and usually have more experienced and better known advisors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Afterthought:

If you are looking in NYC, I would recommend first looking at Hunter, Queens and City college because they are least expensive and well known to the dental schools. Next NYU with an experienced advisor (and NYU has a dental school) but it is very expensive. You might also want to look at Columbia's postbac, expensive but with an experienced well known advisor; they focus, of course, on premeds but since Columbia also has a dental school, it may be a viable option.

Gower, thank you so much for the advice...I haven't been able to sleep much and everyone on here isn't sure of the cuny schools. I'd rather not pay columbia's fee only because its only a postbacc (plus I don't know if I'd get in if I couldn't get into American Univ.). I hope to get into Hunter (I am waiting to hear from them), but I did get into city college. I'm thinking that since I want to reapply to dental school, these post bacc programs would be a good idea, and I shouldn't stress too much because I'm not applying to med school...from what I gather, I have experience and a decent DAT score (which i might take over), but my sci gpa needs to be boosted because of my first two years. Anyway, thanks for the advice gower...If I don't seem on the right path with what I said here, please let me know...but thanks for giving me back my sanity. :cool: