Postbaccalaurete vs. SMP

Started by labruin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

labruin

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am sure that this has previously been addressed, but I do not know where to go looking for in it in the forums.

I should start off by saying that research is something important to me, which I consider when looking for schools/programs to apply to. Saying that, most research medical schools tend to be top medical schools with (generally) the most competitive applicant pools.

If I were to have a 3.3 BCPM GPA/33MCAT (hypothetical) and completed a SMP (like BU MAMS which offers a laboratory research thesis option) wouldn't it only be helping me increase my chances of getting into a school that I wasn't too far from getting into originally? Since it doesn't affect my undergraduate record, wouldn't I still be considered by only the original schools that would have considered me (if any) before?

Would doing a postbaccalaurete increase my chances of getting into a more competitive school, while also increasing my chances of getting into any medical school? Would the best thing to do is do both a postbaccalareute and SMP? Thanks!
 
I am sure that this has previously been addressed, but I do not know where to go looking for in it in the forums.

I should start off by saying that research is something important to me, which I consider when looking for schools/programs to apply to. Saying that, most research medical schools tend to be top medical schools with (generally) the most competitive applicant pools.

If I were to have a 3.3 BCPM GPA/33MCAT (hypothetical) and completed a SMP (like BU MAMS which offers a laboratory research thesis option) wouldn't it only be helping me increase my chances of getting into a school that I wasn't too far from getting into originally? Since it doesn't affect my undergraduate record, wouldn't I still be considered by only the original schools that would have considered me (if any) before?

Would doing a postbaccalaurete increase my chances of getting into a more competitive school, while also increasing my chances of getting into any medical school? Would the best thing to do is do both a postbaccalareute and SMP? Thanks!
Run some numbers on the postbac option.

If you can significantly improve your cumulative undergrad GPA, into competitive range, by taking more undergrad, in a reasonable amount of time, then by all means take more undergrad instead of doing an SMP.

In your shoes, what I would do is push very, very hard for a program like Mt. Sinai (semi-SMP, semi-research). I think that if you can get up to a 3.4, and do whatever else Mt. Sinai (and similar) wants you to do before they'll admit you, then you'll be in the right type of grad/SMP/postbac/credential-buffer program for your goals. A program like that should set you up with connections that count.

I think you are correct to be thinking about how a "3.3+SMP" is perceived. If you want to be competitive for schools that aren't already drinking SMP koolaid, then you need more than that.

Best of luck to you.
 
I mean most people doing a smp want to get into A med school, they aren't concerned so much about where. If you want to improve your competitiveness, I'd max out postbac then see where you stand.