Postbaccs after 5-10 years off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bucknasty

Bucknasty
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please only reply if you have informed opinions/knowledge about this. I don't need advice from a junior in undergrad regarding this stuff.

I went to a Big Ten school, graduated late 90s with around a 3.3 in an unrelated field. Went back to a top postbacc program and it looks like I'm going to finish with a 4.0. I don't have any really wonderful extracurriculars, except for the standard volunteer in ER kind of stuff since returning to school. Got in a little lab work over the summer, but no papers or anything. I have heard that my undergrad grades will essentially be disregarded. Anyone know about this? Anyone have ideas about where I can get in with a 33+ on the mcat? (taking it this april). Anyone have ideas on how to strengthen my app during my lag (app) year? I plan on taking 1-2 more classes, but what else?

Members don't see this ad.

bucknasty said:
Please only reply if you have informed opinions/knowledge about this. I don't need advice from a junior in undergrad regarding this stuff.

I went to a Big Ten school, graduated late 90s with around a 3.3 in an unrelated field. Went back to a top postbacc program and it looks like I'm going to finish with a 4.0. I don't have any really wonderful extracurriculars, except for the standard volunteer in ER kind of stuff since returning to school. Got in a little lab work over the summer, but no papers or anything. I have heard that my undergrad grades will essentially be disregarded. Anyone know about this? Anyone have ideas about where I can get in with a 33+ on the mcat? (taking it this april). Anyone have ideas on how to strengthen my app during my lag (app) year? I plan on taking 1-2 more classes, but what else?

I wouldn't presume the 33+ on the MCAT until you have actually taken it. Lots of folks have dreams of high scores, yet a scant few actually accomplish it. Even practice tests are not always determinative of one's true performance on the important day. Thus no point worrying about where you will get in, because you are not at that point yet. Sort of like what you would do if you won the lottery -- it's just not something you should spend much time pondering. Plus no school looks one dimensionally at numerical stats. If you have a strong application otherwise (PS, LORs, ECs), your numerical stats with a good showing on the MCAT should get you interviewed at some decent places. But any one of those, including the interview, could help or hurt your chances at any school. Folks with lesser stats (but more interesting apps) have gone to top 10 schools and folks with stronger stats have had to go to bottom tier schools. You will want to apply broadly no matter what. Good luck.

I went back after a 20 year break . The thing that I had going for me is many health related experiences. It would be a great advantage to you to find a way to strengthen that part of your application. As for the MCAT , I too dreamed of a 30+ but attained a 27. I did not take a review course but studied 2 hours a night for at least the 4 months prior and had already relearned organic by looking through a text. I think that a class would have improved my scores but I am too cheap to spend that amount of cash. My LORs were difficult to come by but they played an important part in obtaining an interview according to the group that interviewed me they were very strong. ( Three from practicing physicians and one each from a liberal arts and science prof. plus a committee letter.) Having LOR s ready to go and your application in as early as possible is also a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can get a research job during your glide year - that would help.

Also, consider doing some volunteering in a non-clinical setting like a domestic violence shelter, homeless shelter, or an adult daycare (a place where you can drop off a parent who needs supervision during the day) - it sounds like you have good clinical experience, but a little extra experience that shows you work well with all kinds of different people may help.

Spent any time shadowing physicians or watch surgery? those could be valuable experiences to brush up an app.

Good luck on the MCAT.

I spent five years working in an unrelated field before I quit to go post-bacc. Aside from what you're doing, I encourage you to seek out some medially related work or volunteering opportunities that interest you. Even if it's too late to include them in AMCAS, you will hopefully gain some insight and experiences that will help during interviews. And anyway, it never hurts to expose yourself to other parts of the general medical field.

Ok, looks like my background is closest to yours. I went to a top-tiered college, have similar undergrad grades, ECs, and several years of managerial work experience (switched from unrelated field). In other words, not a stellar applicant. So far from the 25 schools that I applied to, I've only been accepted into one med school. To my disappointment, my app hasn't generated the response I thought a dedicated non-trad would. Sure, I received screened secondaries, but the interviews were scant. I absolutely believe it's b/c of my mediocre MCAT scores (near but under 30) and lack of science/ healthcare training. If I could do anything different with my application given my stats, I would have applied to more lower-tiered and private schools. As another SDNer pointed out, the MCAT is really important b/c generally speaking it's the first cut. The algorithm looks something like this:

If MCAT <30 then reject,
else jump through hoops. :p

Speaking for myself, I studied really hard and my practice tests were much better than my actual scores. But it is what it is. My brain's just not as quick with standardized tests as it used to be. But you've got time on your side to study for the MCAT. GOOD LUCK! :luck:

As far as ECs go, your experiences up until your AMCAS in June is an important factor to landing secondaries. What you do in your glide year doesn't matter as much. Anyway, apply broadly to both public and private schools. Be realistic about where you are willing to attend, otherwise you're just wasting your money. And don't hesitate to add 1 or 2 DO schools. Good luck! :)