Postdoc-->MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Phoenix3000

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A postdoc in my lab is contemplating pursuing an MD. I noticed in an early post that someone had mentioned the possibility of MD/PhD programs accepting "fellows," people who had already completed their PhDs. I was wondering if anyone knows more about this. Are specific programs known to do this? Would the MD be funded?
 
Could I have a link to that thread? If any MD/PhD program was accepting people who already have a PhD that would be big news to me. I know of nobody who already had a PhD who had their medical school funded by a combined degree program. I know your friend would love to get their medical school paid for, but they should assume that's just not going to happen. There are rare scholarships out there, but I know some people in med school now who had amazing PhDs and post-docs who are still paying out the nose for medical school.
 
Here is a link to the thread mentioned above - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=183414.

You will see that I asked the poster about these programs. I think that person was just talking about staying connected with a lab while in med school. They did not have any info about funding or a stipend. I would be amazed if any MSTP accepts people who already have a PhD. When I first saw this post I asked a colleague who is the director of a MD/PhD program if this was possible and he did not think it was.