poster/journal article?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Petrichor1

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wanted to get published in a small journal this semester but I am not sure if that will be executed on time prior to applications. There are group members that want to a do poster presentation. Have you guys ever had a time when more than 1 person has made posters on the same project? That seems a bit odd to me so I want to see if it is ok or are we expected to collaborate? I don't think one poster on collaboration would be workable.
 
This depends on what kind of collaboration it was. If you each researched different aspects of the same project (for example, person A made a drug, person B tested it in cells, person C tested it in animals), you can certainly each make your own poster. However, if you were all running the same experiments and testing the same thing, that should be one poster with all of your names on it. What does your advisor/PI think? As head of the group, it is ultimately his/her decision.
 
This depends on what kind of collaboration it was. If you each researched different aspects of the same project (for example, person A made a drug, person B tested it in cells, person C tested it in animals), you can certainly each make your own poster. However, if you were all running the same experiments and testing the same thing, that should be one poster with all of your names on it. What does your advisor/PI think? As head of the group, it is ultimately his/her decision.
um I actually remembered to do a poster only after one of the members in the group mentioned they were doing it. If it is their own thing, I don't want to intrude. At the same time, there were a lot more people in this project that did more work so like I do want to say something but feel too nervous since the person doing the poster came up with the idea.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
um I actually remembered to do a poster only after one of the members in the group mentioned they were doing it. If it is their own thing, I don't want to intrude. At the same time, there were a lot more people in this project that did more work so like I do want to say something but feel too nervous since the person doing the poster came up with the idea.

Honestly, can't give you more advice without more information. Where are your labmates planning to present these posters? For conferences, you usually need to submit an abstract and have the project accepted before you can present, so you probably wouldn't be able to make your own poster in that case anyway. If it's a local thing at your school where anyone can show up, that's a little bit different. If there's no plan to present anywhere, that's just a waste of time.

Also, there's also no such thing as "intruding" on someone else's thing if you all worked on the project. Take a look at the data on your labmate's poster - is any of that data yours? If so, your name should go in his/her poster. If you made your own poster, would at least half of it be data that isn't on your labmate's poster? If you can't answer yes to that one, you shouldn't be making your own poster.
 
I presented a poster at a big national conference as first author. A coauthor had his abstract accepted there as well, so he presented 95% of the same information. Not sure if my colleague got lucky or anything, or maybe the conference was cool with it. I don't really know.
 
If you all worked on the same project you can have one poster with all your names and rotate who presents it. Don't go making multiple posters for the same project though, unless you're going to different conferences.