Poster moderator at a national conference worth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Justlikethat

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a 3rd year med student, and there is this national conference that I will be attending for the second time. I recently got an invitation email from the annual meeting planning committee to serve as a poster moderator, but this also requires me to be an active member (~$200). I'm already registered for the conference to present abstracts, but is it worth spending the extra $200 for this role?
 
I'm a 3rd year med student, and there is this national conference that I will be attending for the second time. I recently got an invitation email from the annual meeting planning committee to serve as a poster moderator, but this also requires me to be an active member (~$200). I'm already registered for the conference to present abstracts, but is it worth spending the extra $200 for this role?
I would check with the conference organizers. Normally, are medical students free to present/attend? Maybe they made a mistake and thought you weren't a student??
 
I would check with the conference organizers. Normally, are medical students free to present/attend? Maybe they made a mistake and thought you weren't a student??
This is different. Typically moderators must be members of the organization. They are asking the student to become a student member and pay the fee for that.

For the OP’s question, I’m not sure this is worth it for your CV. This is not the thing I usually put on my CV. However, it can certainly help if the people asking you to do it are connected with the programs you’re applying to. I would touch base with your research mentor about this and get their thoughts.