Poster Presentations as a College graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharm21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am a college senior who has deferred admission to a DO medical school and will start fall 2012.

I had question about presenting at conferences...I'm doing research at Bascolm Palmer Eye Institute-UMiami affiliated hospital and research center.

Can I present a poster at the following 2011-2011 conventions or no?? Basically I would still put my P.I.'s names and invite them to come and it would be a great networking opportunity and learning experience.

The conferences include:

AOA Orlando October 2011 and ARVO Ft. Lauderdale May 2012

Please let me know if this can happen or I'm not allowed to as I'm not even in DO school as of now just a college senior who just finished college but I'm doing a research internship.

Members don't see this ad.

Of course you can and it would be a great experience and CV padding for the future

Somethings to consider, you HAVE to have your PI's name on these abstracts and they HAVE to okay you submitting it for acceptance. Also they have to okay you putting your name first. Lastly there could be other names they want on there as well, but only the first author matters the most and gets to "present it"

ARVO is the easiest to get something accepted, AAO harder but probably more prestigious. At either there are paper or poster presentations, poster means you stand in front of your poster and talk to folks that come by, low key, lots of fun. Paper means you get in front of an audience and talk for 10-15 min on your abstract. This I would not recommend unless you are a Ph.D., you have to know your stuff well and I have heard of med students even getting killed on the podium.

Lastly you can always try AAO first and if they don't accept go for ARVO.

Lastly lastly, you won't have to invite your PI, as I said above they will have to okay everything and will come if they want to.

Good luck these meeting are fun. Probably will be overwhelming as well at your level

thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it! I'm looking forward to both conferences