Postherpetic Neuralgia Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkiang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I have a question about postherpetic neuralgia. Other than the fact that the patient has a history of herpes zoster, what are the differences from trigeminal neuralgia? How do you differentiate between the two diseases?

I'm asking this because I can't really find any information on how the two are different.

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe that PHN is secondary to HZ, presents after an episode of shingles, and is not limited to the distribution of V3 is a good place to start.

TN has trigger points, pain of greater severity that can be evoked by something as innocuous as a cool breeze and an unknown etiology.

Hi there, I have a question about postherpetic neuralgia. Other than the fact that the patient has a history of herpes zoster, what are the differences from trigeminal neuralgia? How do you differentiate between the two diseases?

I'm asking this because I can't really find any information on how the two are different.

Thanks a lot!
Reading any standard path book and writing down the differences should help you.