Posting for a friend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marq_bme

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend just got his august scores back...

...8, 8, 9.

He has a 3.9 something GPA and 2 summers of research experience. Does he have a shot anywhere in the Midwest?
If not, what are some schools that he could apply to.

He's asian, from Guam, and his residency is WI. Thanks in advance guys...although it seems I may have to tell him that a retake is in order :(

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by marq_bme
I may have to tell him that a retake is in order :(

agreed
although it's not impossible with a 25, odds are against him, especially if he doesn't have other qualities that make him stand out

if he's urm, he's in :D

Members don't see this ad :)
if he's still in college, i'd retake unless he studied really hard and did consistently lower on practice mcats.

i don't know much about midwest schools. he could try finch or medical college of wisconsin. being from guam might be to his advantage.

there is much to be said for taking time off between college and med school...

Originally posted by Veilside
agreed
although it's not impossible with a 26, odds are against him, especially if he doesn't have other qualities that make him stand out

if he's urm, he's in :D

8+8+9 = 25

just trying to maintain the accuracy of the thread. :p

Originally posted by DW
oh, you're just trying to raise the ire of the PC police, aren't you :laugh: :rolleyes:

haha i guess i should tone down on the urm joke huh

actually, urm or not, marq's friend would have a reasonable chance in rush, uic, or loyola if he is an illinois resident.

Originally posted by mvervaine
8+8+9 = 25

just trying to maintain the accuracy of the thread. :p

damn i can't add anymore. thanks for embarrasing me in front of the entire sdn community :cool:

Listen, I really think that there may always be *some* chance...but a 25 is pushing it unless you are a URM and even then its tough. I have a 8, 8, 9 (25) and I applied to 33 schools last yr, interviewed at only one, was waitlisted to the last day (actually told by the dean that I was going to be the NEXT person taken off the list) and now I still didn't get in! I have a 3.7, great LOR's, good EC's, 3 yrs of lab research, 2 yrs of clinical research and F*CKIN MED SCHOOLS STILL CANNOT SEE PAST A 25 MCAT!! Sorry for the rant but I think your friend should maybe try her/his hand at the MCAT again ---especially if they think they can improve with better study habits, etc.

Good luck:cool:

Originally posted by Veilside
damn i can't add anymore. thanks for embarrasing me in front of the entire sdn community :cool:

hey! don't rob me of my sole responsibility in life!
:laugh:

First of all, the whole "posting for a friend" idea seems really odd to me. Why not have your friend post? It sounds to me like when you go to the health teacher in high school and ask for condoms "for your friend".

Anyway, where does this "friend" go to school? I'm guessing from the name marq that it would be Marquette. If this is the case, your "friend" might be in luck. Both the Medical College of Wisconsin and Loyola (Chicago) are known for taking a considerable amount of students from Marquette. Loyola has a strong focus on community service, and they are often willing to overlook lower scores if you have a lot of volunteering and clinical experiences. MCW used to be the MU School of Medicine and, even after separating, still used to take med scholars from MU until about 10 years ago, so they still tend to take a lot of MU students.

Even if your "friend" isn't a student at Marquette, there is a decent chance for getting into UW with a strong GPA and lots of clinical work.

Hope that helps. Go Golden Eagles!

Last time I checked, people from Guam are severely under represented in medicine.

Too bad you don't belong to a politically popular racial group.

Originally posted by ColumbiaMPH
First of all, the whole "posting for a friend" idea seems really odd to me. Why not have your friend post? It sounds to me like when you go to the health teacher in high school and ask for condoms "for your friend".

A lot of people post for "friends." Don't be so "rude." Since I see you are new, welcome to SDN.