postpone acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrubswannabe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you get accepted to med school can you defer acceptance by a year
so that you can travel the world?

i'm still thinking about it but this is what i want to do
or would i have to apply to med schools after my year off

Members don't see this ad.

as far as I understand it, it is possible to defer acceptance at some schools (ie. Stanford), though they highly recommend you wait until you're ready before you apply to med school in the first place.

Other places (ie. Harvard) just straight up won't let you defer.

At leasts that's what the dean of admissions @ stanford told me.

Members don't see this ad :)
as far as I understand it, it is possible to defer acceptance at some schools (ie. Stanford), though they highly recommend you wait until you're ready before you apply to med school in the first place.

Other places (ie. Harvard) just straight up won't let you defer.

At leasts that's what the dean of admissions @ stanford told me.

You can defer at Harvard (I know two people who have done this), but I don't know if they will let you do it so that you can "travel the world."

OP, You may want to ask individual schools because their policies may differ with respect to deferring an acceptance.

You can defer at Harvard (I know two people who have done this), but I don't know if they will let you do it so that you can "travel the world."

OP, You may want to ask individual schools because their policies may differ with respect to deferring an acceptance.

No, please don't unless you're already accepted. The last thing an admissions committee wants to hear is questions about deferring enrollment.

Hey,
Does anyone know if one can defer after being pulled off a wait list? Or are applications for deferring typical due before people are pulled off waitlists? Can't seem to find any information on this....
TX! :)

Hey,
Does anyone know if one can defer after being pulled off a wait list? Or are applications for deferring typical due before people are pulled off waitlists? Can't seem to find any information on this....
TX! :)

My guess is that deferring won't be an option if you're pulled off the waitlist because at that point, the only reason they're giving more people acceptances is because they have empty slots in their class that they're trying to fill up. A deferral isn't going to help them accomplish this.

If you could defer, that would be an awesome experience! Good luck.

Still, I wouldn't throw away an acceptance to travel the world.

ohio state will let you defer for whatever reason you want

depends on the school. some schools won't let you defer, others will let you only in certain circumstances, and others will no matter the circumstance. i got off the waitlist last year at an out of state school and was able to defer to reapply to my in-state school, work, and travel. very few schools would let you do what i did but they do exist.

It's dependent on the school. Some schools like Harvard will let you defer if you had a Rhodes scholarship or something like that. Other schools will let you defer to work/or do more research/make more money, etc

dally, you deferred after you got off the waitlist? they let you do that? i wasn't sure, since I thought you had to apply to defer before most schools even look at the waitlist... :)

dally, you deferred after you got off the waitlist? they let you do that? i wasn't sure, since I thought you had to apply to defer before most schools even look at the waitlist... :)

yep, at least for now... they changed the policy starting this year, at least for oos. the deadline was sometime in july and i was accepted in early june. most people think i'm crazy but i think paying an extra $75,000 in tuition is crazy!

case western will let you defer for any reason.