Postpone primary bc of MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rajp98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently scheduled for 6/30 MCAT, aiming for a 510+, however I took two of the AAMC practice exams and my score has not been in my target range.

AAMC FL 1 (6/5): 496 (122/123/124/127)

AAMC FL 3 (Yesterday): 501 (123/124/127/127)

At this point I'm going to postpone, but I'm not sure if I should postpone to 7/7 or 7/20. I'm hoping to apply this cycle, and was planning to complete application after the MCAT. Is 7/7 enough time to improve that CP and CARS? What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently scheduled for 6/30 MCAT, aiming for a 510+, however I took two of the AAMC practice exams and my score has not been in my target range.

AAMC FL 1 (6/5): 496 (122/123/124/127)

AAMC FL 3 (Yesterday): 501 (123/124/127/127)

At this point I'm going to postpone, but I'm not sure if I should postpone to 7/7 or 7/20. I'm hoping to apply this cycle, and was planning to complete application after the MCAT. Is 7/7 enough time to improve that CP and CARS? What should I do?

I would reschedule for the 7/20 exam. 7/7 seems too soon given where you are now. Some people crush and get rapid improvements but it seems unlikely that you’ll be in 510 range by 7/7. Keep in mind that you wouldn’t get your score back until 8/20. Maybe other people who know more than me can weigh in on the timeline, but that seems kind of late.

Hi,

I believe 7/7 is enough time to raise your C/P and CARS scores, but I would postpone until 7/20 just for the extra couple of weeks.
I didn't get a stellar score but I did just break the 510 plane (which I believe is your stated goal).

Here's my advice. (*****People with superior C/P and CARS please chime in!!!******)

CARS: There's no sense in trying to gauge which part of the passage is the most or least important because questions can come from anywhere. I think this section is all about timing. How quickly can you read an entire passage and generally understand its content? If you can't read the passage fully and answer all questions within a 10-minute slot, then I'd rely on AMCAS or third party passages (Kaplan, EK, Khan, etc) to just practice, practice, practice getting that timing down. Ideally during the test you should be able to read/answer a passage in an 8-12 minute window averaging 9 mins per passage. Again, the key is fast but comprehensive reading. If you're having trouble with content and question stem interpretation itself, I'd rely on the Kaplans and Berkleys of the world (sorry, I know this last piece isn't super helpful!). What also helped me psychologically is thinking of CARS (and PS) as the fun sections (cardio, if you will) where you don't have to flex the brain as much (I don't mean to be insensitive; I know some people find some sections easier than others! just my perspective).

P/S: My worst section (I blame a sleepless night the eve of my test because of nerves. Have a backup plan like melatonin or any surefire way to go to sleep. The anxiety/excitement/adrenaline the night before the test is very different from all others leading up to the test. In fact for anyone reading this I'd go as far as to say schedule an afternoon test if possible). I digress. I relied on heavy review of my undergraduate physics, gen chem, and orgo courses for the content (might as well tap into and master already-established memory patterns). The only other source I used was practice mcat exams and question packs. The physics can be boiled down to one big spreadsheet that you memorize of the formulas/concepts to know (if you need one you can message me and I'll send). Also, these passages are shorter than Bio so you should be able to read them in their entirety before answering questions (if not, practice reading speed!). There's no avoiding an obscure orgo question or coordination matrix question or low-yield material in general. But mastering high-yield/what's likely to be on the test was the theme of my study efforts.

Again, others with more experience and better scores please chime in!

Reactions: 1 user
My two pointers (I remember C/P being tough, but I got through it. I was good at the classes, I guess?)
1. CARS: How often do you just read? Like real books, not MCAT passages? It's something I recommend. Also, the biggest thing I hear people forget is that everything is right there in the passage. My strategy was quickly skim the passage to know what on earth I was dealing with and to pick out a couple main points. Then you look at the questions and search for the answers. Keep reminding yourself that it's all in there somewhere!
2. Take FL #2 only once you're confident you've improved to where you need to be. Practice tests will give you the best sense of where you're at if you haven't taken them before. :)