Potassium Chloride: Name brand and comparable generics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkyrx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trivia question for everyone...

Do you know off the top of your head what specific generics to use if a prescription is written for Klor-con or K-Dur or Micro-K etc? Or for those of you who haven't been practicing for a long time yet, would you need to look it up to be sure?

What about K-Dur 10 vs K-Dur 20... do those use the same generic? I would have thought they did, but if you look in Facts and Comparisons, K-Dur 20 has a generic with it, but K-Dur 10 does not.

Also, I was told that on the FDA website you can look up the AB ratings for things like this to see how they compare... Anyone ever use the website for this kind of thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The web-site you want is: http://www.fda.gov/cder/ob/

1. Klor-Con is a generic.
  2. K-Dur is no longer made
  3. Only Ethex makes an AB rated version of Micro-K and only in the 10 meq

The web-site you want is: http://www.fda.gov/cder/ob/

1. Klor-Con is a generic.
  2. K-Dur is no longer made
  3. Only Ethex makes an AB rated version of Micro-K and only in the 10 meq

So, since K-Dur 10 meq is no longer made, what would you substitute for it? Can you use use generic Microencapsulated Potassium Chloride 10 meq?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Where I work, I can send whatever the hell I want as long as it delivers an accurate amount of KCL into the patient.....haha....

I'm pretty sure my docs feel the exact same way, but it bugs me that they make simple things like this so difficult with all the bazillion name brands and generics!:smuggrin: :laugh:

So, since K-Dur 10 meq is no longer made, what would you substitute for it? Can you use use generic Microencapsulated Potassium Chloride 10 meq?

Thanks!

The closest is Klor-Con 10M which is Microencapsulated as opposed to plain Klor-Con which is a wax matrix tablet....