Potassium Chloride: Name brand and comparable generics

Started by pinkyrx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pinkyrx

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Trivia question for everyone...

Do you know off the top of your head what specific generics to use if a prescription is written for Klor-con or K-Dur or Micro-K etc? Or for those of you who haven't been practicing for a long time yet, would you need to look it up to be sure?

What about K-Dur 10 vs K-Dur 20... do those use the same generic? I would have thought they did, but if you look in Facts and Comparisons, K-Dur 20 has a generic with it, but K-Dur 10 does not.

Also, I was told that on the FDA website you can look up the AB ratings for things like this to see how they compare... Anyone ever use the website for this kind of thing?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where I work, I can send whatever the hell I want as long as it delivers an accurate amount of KCL into the patient.....haha....

I'm pretty sure my docs feel the exact same way, but it bugs me that they make simple things like this so difficult with all the bazillion name brands and generics!:meanie: :laugh:
 
So, since K-Dur 10 meq is no longer made, what would you substitute for it? Can you use use generic Microencapsulated Potassium Chloride 10 meq?

Thanks!

The closest is Klor-Con 10M which is Microencapsulated as opposed to plain Klor-Con which is a wax matrix tablet....