Potential changes to in office SCS trials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpb26

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just had this forwarded to me regarding potential changes to in office SCS trials. There is a 60-day comment period which closes September 4th. Im including the text below.

www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=CMS-2012-0083-0075

d. Spinal Cord Stimulation Trial Procedures in the Nonfacility Setting Stakeholders have recently brought to our attention that CPT code 63650 (Percutaneous implantation of neurostimulator electrode array, epidural) is frequently furnished in the physician office setting but is not priced in that setting. We note that the valuation of a service under the PFS in particular settings does not address whether those services are medically reasonable and necessary in the case of individual patients, including being furnished in a setting appropriate to the patient’s medical needs and condition. However, because these services are being furnished in the nonfacility setting, we believe that CPT code 63650 should be reviewed to establish appropriate nonfacility inputs. We propose to review CPT code 63650 and request recommendations from the AMA RUC and other public commenters on the appropriate physician work RVUs (as measured by time and intensity), and facility and nonfacility direct PE inputs for this service. We understand that disposable leads comprise a significant resource cost for this service and are currently separately reportable to Medicare for payment purposes when the service is furnished in the physician office setting. Disposable medical supplies are not considered prosthetic devices paid under the Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetic/Orthotic, and Supplies (DMEPOS) fee schedule and generally are incorporated as nonfacility direct PE
CMS-1590-P 50 inputs to PE RVUs. We seek comment on establishing nonfacililty PE RVUs for CPT code 63650.

Members don't see this ad.

Why would the RVU be different depending on where you perform it? I never understand that with CMS. I understand facility fees and all, but saying it's more work to be done in one facility type than another? Dumb.

Sorry about the repost. I must have missed it the first time around. Either way if you havent commented yet make sure your opinions are known