Potential Institutional Action/ Academic Discipline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1052546

Have you ever been disciplined for student conduct violations (e.g. academic probation, dismissal, suspension, disqualification, etc.) by any college or school?

So, I have a question about how to answer this question on AACOMAS. When I was taking a lab for a class I made the stupid mistake of making up data that was representative or close to what I would have gotten had the lab experiment been done properly. At the time, I didn’t think what I was doing was wrong since we received full credit if our lab notebook was filled out for the lab, I was attempting the experiment and a good portion ( half) of the class was doing the same thing as well. Anyways long story short, it’s been a while since taking the class and I had since graduated. I came to realize what I did was wrong and so I reached out to the professor, even though it could result in losing my degree. He told me he appreciated me reaching out to him and had me write an essay about honesty to make up for what I did. The dean was not involved, nor the honor code office and it was not reported to the administration. Please correct me if I am wrong, but my professor technically works for the school so my guess is that him requiring me to write the essay counts as discipline by the school. Based off of that logic I figure that I will simply report it.

• Is this considered an institutional action since it was just between the professor and I? If so should it be reported?
  • Am I overthinking this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever been disciplined for student conduct violations (e.g. academic probation, dismissal, suspension, disqualification, etc.) by any college or school?

So, I have a question about how to answer this question on AACOMAS. When I was taking a lab for a class I made the stupid mistake of making up data that was representative or close to what I would have gotten had the lab experiment been done properly. At the time, I didn’t think what I was doing was wrong since we received full credit if our lab notebook was filled out for the lab, I was attempting the experiment and a good portion (probably half) of the class was doing the same thing as well. Anyways long story short, it’s been a year since taking the class and I graduated back in December. I came to realize what I did was wrong and so I reached out to the professor about it a couple weeks ago, even though it could result in losing my degree. He told me he appreciated me reaching out to him and is having me write an essay about honesty to make up for what I did. The dean was not involved, nor the honor code office and it was not reported to the administration. Please correct me if I am wrong, but my professor technically works for the school so my guess is that him requiring me to write the essay counts as discipline by the school. Based off of that logic I figure that I will simply report it.

• How should I word my response since the violation occurred a year ago but I am now dealing with it (do I put down the date of the violation, or the date it was dealt with)?
  • Is this considered an institutional action since it was just between the professor and I?
Since it was not reported (at least from what you are aware of) and there is not a lick of evidence or communication by your university about an IA, there is no IA, so I would not say anything on AACOMAS about an IA that doesn't exist.

You need to keep this low-key honestly, write the essay, don't give dates, and verify with your professor that nothing is being reported. Once verified, do NOT list anything on AACOMS. You will cause yourself a lot of suffering during the app cycle if you do.

Reactions: 1 user

So, I have a question about how to answer this question on AACOMAS. When I was taking a lab for a class I made the stupid mistake of making up data that was representative or close to what I would have gotten had the lab experiment been done properly. At the time, I didn’t think what I was doing was wrong since we received full credit if our lab notebook was filled out for the lab, I was attempting the experiment and a good portion ( half) of the class was doing the same thing as well. Anyways long story short, it’s been a while since taking the class and I had since graduated. I came to realize what I did was wrong and so I reached out to the professor, even though it could result in losing my degree. He told me he appreciated me reaching out to him and had me write an essay about honesty to make up for what I did. The dean was not involved, nor the honor code office and it was not reported to the administration. Please correct me if I am wrong, but my professor technically works for the school so my guess is that him requiring me to write the essay counts as discipline by the school. Based off of that logic I figure that I will simply report it.

• Is this considered an institutional action since it was just between the professor and I? If so should it be reported?
It's not an IA

Members don't see this ad :)
ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING? DO YOU EVEN HAVE TO ASK? You should have kept your mouth shut then. Keep it shut now, yeah? I will tell you that 100% of the rest of your classmates wouldn't have come clean and you shouldn't have either. Like why? I have to say this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Why don't you email your highschool chemistry teacher and tell her about the time you cheated then too? Someone who thinks this is the end of the world and felt the need to report it is not ready to see death, and is definitely not ready to make life or death decisions. Get a grip.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
@Goro has a med student ever ratted themself out for cheating even though they were in the clear and gotten expelled for it? This is crazy to me.

I think you also overdid it a little.

Reactions: 1 user
Speaking as someone with a big fat conduct IA, you would KNOW if it was an IA. Let's say you stole a laptop from a store, took it home and for some (inscrutable) reason decided to confess to police officer. Then the police officer, who was nice, informally told you to give the laptop back to the store but never arrested you. Does that mean you have a criminal record? The "professor works for school therefore it was an institutional action" doesn't really hold up if you think about it. An IA is a very specific thing, not a play on words that you use to self-immolate on your medical school applications. But do whatever feels right.