Potential job offer - opinions from others

Started by ka6767
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ka6767

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an IMG who worked in socialized medicine country for many years before moving to the US 10 years ago. Finished my US residency less than 2 years ago so I ask the following since I'm not used to negotiating salary/benefits etc.

I have been in contact with one of the large hospital systems in my area which is opening several clinics to serve the underserved in the community.

I was told that since this position will be serving the poor (uninsured), I would be compensated at MGMA 50th percentile (they sited $200 - $210K) as opposed to production like other providers in the system working out-patient.

I don't have access to MGMA but found an article on the NEJM website that stated 2016 MGMA median compensation for PEDS is $231K

Would the difference between the median they mentioned ($200-$210K vs $231K on NEJM) likely be because the NEJM article is based on nation-wide figures ?

How likely would they willing to negotiate salary if it's for a position being underwritten by the hospital system and several non-profits ?

My passion is working with the underserved communities so obviously $ is secondary to me. Just curious if I should just accept what they offer because of the nature of this position or negotiate like it seems many/most do. My neighbor is FM and he's encouraging me to counter what they offer.

Thank you in advance for your feedback !
 
It's always worth countering back particularly when you have other data to support your position. If they still tell you "this is what we're offering, take it or leave it" then the ball is back in your court to make a decision.

There's no reason you need to guess at their likelihood of negotiating, it's not going to help you in the long run. They either are or they aren't - if you mistakenly think they will but they don't, you're no worse off. Flip it the other way though, where you think they won't but they would have in fact changed the terms, you lose out significantly. So just counter and see what happens. It's definitely worth having an employment lawyer review.

You should also look at the contract and how they are going to compensate you into the future. Could you negotiate production based pay down the road (given that it's a new clinic, it's probably better for you to be salary to start off until the clinic gets rolling)? Could you ask for other perks - more vacation time or CME money or the like?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you all for your replies. I very much appreciate your advice.

NecFasc92 - would it be ok to PM you to give you the city in which I live to get the MGMA median for that city ?
 
I would be compensated at MGMA 50th percentile (they sited $200 - $210K) as opposed to production like other providers in the system working out-patient.

I don't have access to MGMA but found an article on the NEJM website that stated 2016 MGMA median compensation for PEDS is $231K

Just ask them for the MGMA data. They're paying for it. They're basing their offer off it. They should not have a problem showing you the data.
 
Always counter. Remember it's not just the salary. Maybe salary is not negotiable but you can negotiate other benefits - educational allowance, time off, schedule, benefits, etc etc.

It doesn't hurt to ask!!! Be polite and professional at all times, but otherwise the only way you can lose is by not asking!
 
I am a practicing Pediatrician in MW and will tell you, for 50% tile and $210,000, you would have to see atleast 30 patients/day average and to generate atleast $5-550,000 which is not fun.
 
One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was this: $20,000 per year is not going to make a difference in your happiness. His point was that if I took a job based only on a marginally higher salary, it was a bad decision if the job sucked. If this is the job for you, if you can see yourself being happy there, a few extra dollars is not going to change your happiness. Consider what kind of lifestyle you want. Will this job provide that lifestyle? Will you have time for family and friends? Do you like the people with whom you will be working? Do they appreciate you, or are you just a cog in the wheel?

A few years ago I took a $50K/year pay cut to work where I wanted to work, and with colleagues I enjoyed working with. I do not regret the decision one bit. And when I speak to my former colleagues, they are still miserable making more money.