Potential offers, need advice

Started by imFellow
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

imFellow

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Heme/Onc fellow from a tier-1 fellowship program needing advice on first attending gig.

Offer 1: PP, Pacific NW, small sized metro (450k population), salaried position 400k base + production bonus. Still not sure what metrics are used to compute production bonus. 4 day clinical week. Pretty high income taxes.

Offer 2: Hospital employed, Mid-west metro (500k population), salaried position 450k base + RVU's over a threshold. 4 day clinical week.

Both offers have sign-on + relocation, CME time, vacation time which are pretty comparable.

Prefer Offer 1 to be close to family. Is base salary usually negotiable for a year 1 attending straight out of fellowship? Do private practices usually negotiate base salary?
 
I don't have an answer to your question but I'm reassured that a new graduate is being offered close to MGMA median for salary. Are you in your final year? How soon did you start looking and interview? How many people are they expecting yo to see each day?
 
Yes, third year fellow here. 18-20 pts per day to cover salary.

@gutonc , can you comment on negotiating base salary straight out of fellowship in a private practice?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't have an answer to your question but I'm reassured that a new graduate is being offered close to MGMA median for salary. Are you in your final year? How soon did you start looking and interview? How many people are they expecting yo to see each day?

Just to respond to this. Recent grad, 4 offers I received-NYC metro two offers 375 425 (375 was hybrid hem malignancy job) and 425 was standard PP partner track. Two academic nyc positions 230 and 220 plus bonus potential (~250 for each)
 
You'd probably have more luck trying to get some wiggle on the sign-on bonus than you will negotiating the salary.

Agree that these seem good offers. If I were in your shoes it would come down to where I want to live, and with the private practice offer what things look like in terms of road to partnership if my goal is to put down roots.
 
Things to think about:
1) How long is salary guaranteed for?
2) 18-20 patients a day to cover salary, so that means >>20 patients to make bonuses over salary?
3) Is there a lot of physician turnover?
4) PP chance for partnership? Buy-in is high?
5) Ask for a salary increase, worst they can say is no. Agree with negotiating on higher sign-on bonus as a higher chance for success. When they offer 10-20K for your moving expenses, if you don't have a lot of shi*, I recommend negotiating that amount and add it on to your bonus rather take it to move as you won't get left over money.