Potentially awkward situation: re socialising with doctors

Started by glache
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

G

glache

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hope you guys can help me out! I work on the surgical ward and I've gotten along really well with a bunch of the (surgical) interns. They invited me to a BBQ after work yesterday, and I asked if other pharmacists could tag along, yep they were fine with that and I managed to recruit two others to come The two pharmacists that came were the medical ward pharmacist and a newcomer who's working in dispensary for at least the next week. The BBQ was organised by medical students, so I didn't feel any awkwardness there.

Now one of the surgical interns is an admin of a secret FB group for all of the medical and surgical interns to socialise (mental health is very much their own entity). She added me and the next event they have is another BBQ on Sunday. The problem is that neither of the other pharmacists are members, and though I understand about the newcomer, the medical ward pharmacist didn'tactually hear about this first BBQ that has passed until I told her. I'm not sure whether it's because the medical interns didn't think to ask her, or maybe that that level of rapport hasn't developed yet between them (she works on a 38 bed medical ward which you can imagine is insane and this is the end of the interns' second week here. She also has mild Asperger's which she confided to me in, and though she socialises well enough, it is also evident, from a few minutes of conversation, that socialising is not her forte though people may not guess it is Asperger's as such).

So, can you see where this is going? I don't want to rock up to this BBQ on my own because if word got out to pharmacy then it could be misinterpreted as me thinking I'm too good for pharmacy (which is absolutely not true!) Me and this medical ward pharmacist have an amicable relationship--you could almost say the start of a friendship? Oh, and I can't pretend I didn't see the invite because it's one of those event invites where it lists who has seen it already (dammit FB's stalkingness!)

So how do I handle the situation? Do I go? (there is no RSVP to the BBQ so at least if they were so picky as to check, all they would be able to extrapolate is that I saw the invite but couldn't make it). Should I ask this medical ward pharmacist? (the newcomer, I would have no hesitation in asking to tag along though I doubt he'd be able to make it this weekend anyway) Thanks!
 
Whoah you are thinking way too much into this. I would just go and have fun - I am friends with all my interns too - including my surgical when I rotated through surgery and its not a big deal.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just go and put on a good face.

hey.gif
 
Just go lol. Personally, when I work day shift and go on lunch, I sit with the doctors and hot young nurses. Sitting with the pharmacists feels like I'm back in junior high school on the nerd table.

Yeah those damn pharmacist nerds....
 
This all depends... when you say BBQ...do you mean slow cooked meat over smoke for hours and hours or BBQ as in grilling meat..which we yanks don't consider a true "BBQ."
 
This all depends... when you say BBQ...do you mean slow cooked meat over smoke for hours and hours or BBQ as in grilling meat..which we yanks don't consider a true "BBQ."

As a lifelong Yankee, I rule that BBQ can be slow cooked shredded meat. However, A bbq (as in an event) requires grilling the food once the guests are there. The grill is required or it is not a bbq.
 
As a lifelong Yankee, I rule that BBQ can be slow cooked shredded meat. However, A bbq (as in an event) requires grilling the food once the guests are there. The grill is required or it is not a bbq.

Oh...you wanna talk BBQ? Show me your smoker... or this conversation is over.

:meanie:
 
Reason #452 why you should have started your residency program this year and took me: i could have brought you bbq after coming back from visiting home. Although i hear TX does bbq a little different than KY

mmm... yall do Pork? Cuz I don't.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If the BBQ is half as good as the Salt lick outside of Austin, screw the whole pharmacy, only DOP allowed cuz nothing shall be left! Those of you haven't heard of the Salt lick is totally missing out. OMG, its awesooooome!