Potentially Reapplying Because My Application Had Gaps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gengar0902

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I know it is still early in the cycle, but I'm realizing now that gaps in my application and strategy may be holding me back from getting an interview this cycle.

Application I Submitted:
Graduated December 2024
GPA: 3.99
MCAT: 518 (taken April 2026)
Clinical employment: 4,000 hours as a patient-facing clinical research coordinator at a large VA hospital (since 2023)
Clinical volunteering: 150 hours at VA hospital
Non-clinical employment: 1400 hours as a local math tutor (worked part-time all senior year of high school and freshman year of college)
Non-clinical volunteering: 75 hours as an "iBuddy" for international students
Research: 1 review article (first author, low-impact journal), 1 pilot study (fourth author, low-impact journal), 4 poster presentations (Institute for Healthcare Improvement 2024)
Leadership: 150 hours as a teaching assistant for a capstone research course (one semester)
Extracurriculars: Beach volleyball

Completed Secondaries:
University of Florida
University of Central Florida
University of South Florida
Florida Atlantic University
Florida International University
University of Miami
Indiana University (no secondary, rejected)
University of Cincinnati

I submitted all secondaries by August 3, 2026.

My Problem
I did not apply with any community service hours from helping homeless/needy populations. After I submitted my application, I started volunteering most weekends each month at a local homeless shelter, working in their kitchen and clothing store. Now, I serve food and help sort donated items into outfits for residents.

I also applied mainly to Florida schools that did not require the Casper or Preview exams. My goal was to stay in Florida, but with a narrow school list and not a strong enough service orientation, I realize this was a mistake.

My Question
Will my lack of meaningful community service and small school limit my success this cycle? Do I have a much better chance by reapplying in May 2027 if I expand my school list, take the situational judgment exams, and earn 200+ service hours at the homeless shelter? I am also looking at getting EMT certified by May 2027 because I want to work part-time as an ER tech.

Thank you for any feedback!
 
When did your AMCAS get verified? Did you do any networking before submitting your application? Attend any recruiting sessions?

Have you gotten rejections from your in-state schools? I don't know how much state politics influences admissions policies, but unless you have rejection notifications from your state schools, you never know. Decision makers still like high metrics.
 
I think it's too early to tell whether you are going to strike out for the entire cycle, but I agree that you had predictable gaps in your application, and it sounds like you are addressing most of them.

I also agree your list was too short... I got into an Ivy and T20 but not my home FL schools, despite interviews at two of them. If you do strike out, it isn't necessarily because you were an exceedingly poor-quality applicant. FL is very weird, honestly.

I do think what you are missing is an understanding of how those gaps probably created downstream narrative issues, especially at some of your schools.

I think for FL, FIU, FAU, and FSU are going to be your service-heavy schools. Or, at least the schools that most identify with being less overtly academic/more community-oriented. FIU/FAU and to some degree UCF are going to have large underserved minority populations they are going to want you to either belong to or work closely with. FSU less so, but they are really into "rural" (if you call Tallahassee rural) primary care. If you didn't have service orientation activities, which you didn't, I can't imagine how you could have written to their prompts and preferred idiom.

UM and UF are somewhere in the middle, valuing academics, research, and service with more parity.

USF is going to be your school of crazy lizard people. They are specifically selecting for high-metric applicants that did not have the EC profile to swing it at the household names. The Dean of USF-COM is constantly touting how they are the #1 medical school in the country... in a ranking of medical schools evaluated for their *lack* of stated/actionable commitment to diversity and service. The oddest part is that they don't specify that in their copious, pretentious self-congratulatory posts... they really believe they are HYS-tier. (Who's going to tell them...? Anyway, I digress...)

Little tidbits of info here I gathered over my cycle: both FIU and FAU will schedule all interviews by the end of the year, even if they are scheduled into next year. FAU moves slowly on offers as they are a very small school of ~90ish, FIU is going to be more truly rolling and will admit many of their interviewees. FAU uses SparkHire as a pre-interview SJT. Didn't have a great time at FIU's interview; had a student actually laugh at me while I was delivering a response. NSU-MD will ask you to register for an account on a separate portal to deliver your rejection letter.

Hoping some other folks can give you more info on their experiences, but... all in all, I would recommend you expand your scope. I would not get an EMT certification just for the sake of getting one if you feel your patient-facing clinical experience is strong and clear on your application.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it's too early to tell whether you are going to strike out for the entire cycle, but I agree that you had predictable gaps in your application, and it sounds like you are addressing most of them.

I also agree your list was too short... I got into an Ivy and T20 but not my home FL schools, despite interviews at two of them. If you do strike out, it isn't necessarily because you were an exceedingly poor-quality applicant. FL is very weird, honestly.

I do think what you are missing is an understanding of how those gaps probably created downstream narrative issues, especially at some of your schools.

I think for FL, FIU, FAU, and FSU are going to be your service-heavy schools. Or, at least the schools that most identify with being less overtly academic/more community-oriented. FIU/FAU and to some degree UCF are going to have large underserved minority populations they are going to want you to either belong to or work closely with. FSU less so, but they are really into "rural" (if you call Tallahassee rural) primary care. If you didn't have service orientation activities, which you didn't, I can't imagine how you could have written to their prompts and preferred idiom.

UM and UF are somewhere in the middle, valuing academics, research, and service with more parity.

USF is going to be your school of crazy lizard people. They are specifically selecting for high-metric applicants that did not have the EC profile to swing it at the household names. The Dean of USF-COM is constantly touting how they are the #1 medical school in the country... in a ranking of medical schools evaluated for their *lack* of stated/actionable commitment to diversity and service. The oddest part is that they don't specify that in their copious, pretentious self-congratulatory posts... they really believe they are HYS-tier. (Who's going to tell them...? Anyway, I digress...)

Little tidbits of info here I gathered over my cycle: both FIU and FAU will schedule all interviews by the end of the year, even if they are scheduled into next year. FAU moves slowly on offers as they are a very small school of ~90ish, FIU is going to be more truly rolling and will admit many of their interviewees. FAU uses SparkHire as a pre-interview SJT. Didn't have a great time at FIU's interview; had a student actually laugh at me while I was delivering a response. NSU-MD will ask you to register for an account on a separate portal to deliver your rejection letter.

Hoping some other folks can give you more info on their experiences, but... all in all, I would recommend you expand your scope. I would not get an EMT certification just for the sake of getting one if you feel your patient-facing clinical experience is strong and clear on your application.
Thank you for your thoughtful response! I think burnout contributed to the small school list. I will continue volunteering at the homeless shelter and consider applying for their leadership program in January. If I have to reapply, I'll prewrite all my secondaries and submit everything as soon as I'm able. Thanks again
 
Thank you for your thoughtful response! I think burnout contributed to the small school list. I will continue volunteering at the homeless shelter and consider applying for their leadership program in January. If I have to reapply, I'll prewrite all my secondaries and submit everything as soon as I'm able. Thanks again

Hang in there! Admissions is a psy-op... don't let them see you sweat. Good luck!
 
I don't see how this is a "gap" in your application. I imagine it would be more competitive if you had it. If its the case your application is non-functional without it: the medical school admissions process is not beating the "rich kid talent show" allegations.

The biggest issue I see is you applied to only 8 schools. That's half the national average.
 
How did you come up with your initial strategy and reasoning, given that your said you avoided schools that has you take a SJT and knowingly had a small number of community service experiences? Did you visit any of these schools?

If you reapply, how do you address the "bias" against reapplicants? What are you doing now to answer how you have improved your profile?

I think applying in-state was statistically good, but a less than optimal mission fit will prevent you from getting an offer.