power analysis for ZINB regression models

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyched2graduate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a way to run a power analysis for zero-inflated negative binomial regression models? Or general set of guidelines for ensuring adequate power for these models? I found a few articles, but they are largely theoretical in nature. I ran the models in Mplus (which I am new to) and was hoping there was a way to do it in that. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if there is a way to run a power analysis for zero-inflated negative binomial regression models? Or general set of guidelines for ensuring adequate power for these models? I found a few articles, but they are largely theoretical in nature. I ran the models in Mplus (which I am new to) and was hoping there was a way to do it in that. Thanks for any help!

No software that I am aware of can do it. It sounds like you already have the data so post-hoc power analysis is not very meaningful anyways (if that is where you are going with this).

It wouldn't be elegant, but you could hard code something like this in R. Power analysis isn't rocket science. Generate a few thousand random distributions based on your parameters, apply the chosen analysis to each and count sig p values. That's the essence of it. Elegant solutions would make it so it wouldn't take hours to run, but something like that should get the job done for a one-time-only type thing.

Thanks, Ollie! I was trying to avoid simulations altogether, but this is what I went with. And yeah, an editor suggested we run this analysis but then later thought that we didn't have the power to do it, hence the post-hoc power analysis.

Last edited: