Powerpoint Research Presentation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ysk1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished making power point slides today and I have a presentation tomorrow! I have language barrier and I won't be able to only use notes to talk during presentation. I will need a script, which will of course be hidden.
I'm going to be using a labtop and put my notes in my computer so that the notes don't show up in the screen but only I can read it during presentation. I have no choice because even though I know the material well my language problem will make it hard for me to only use notes to carry out presentation.
So is it okay to stand behind my labtop the whole time during presentation? (I have to if I were to be close to my script during presentation) I don't even have a remote control for labtop so I can use this as my reason for standing in front of the labtop the whole time. Also, I'm not going to look like I'm reading the script word-by-word.

I know I should really try not to use a script. Someone even advised that the info on the slides should be enough to remind you of the key talking points on each slide. But my language problem doesn't make that work for me. :( I'm really scared.

NO TROLL OR OFFENSIVE POSTS PLZ..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do what you have to do. Try to keep your head up and visible as much as possible so that the audience will feel like you are talking to them and not hiding. Even if you are nervous, make sure you speak up loudly enough to be heard by the farthest away person and beyond. Unless you have a microphone, you usually have to speak louder than may feel comfortable, because voices always sound louder to the speaker than they do to the room.

Good luck!:luck:

Oh, and practice, practice, practice for confidence.

That's def fine, just make sure to make eye contact with the people listening to your presentation. Presentations are never easy unless you've practiced over and over for them, and even then, it can be nerve wrecking, or unless you've done tons of them so you're used to giving presentation. It's especially hard when there's a language barrier. But thats why having slides for your audience will be great, because anything that your audience doesn't understand, they will probably get it from your slides or they can ask you that questions after presentation. Also, if there's a Q and A session after, take advantage of it...and don't take criticisms personally, just take them as an opportunity to improve your work in the future. Even the greatest scientists get criticized and have man drafts of their work.