PP vs working in hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kanvis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if I am using the right abbreviations, but please bare with me :) I am a pre-med who is trying to become as informed as possible before taking the med school plunge. I keep reading about the pitfalls associated with OB/GYN specialty, specifically the inevitable law suits which accompany having a private practice. How does the threat of lawsuits differ if you work in a hospital, like Kaiser? Is the lifestyle more bearable? What about the compensation? Please ignore my ignorance and ty in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure if I am using the right abbreviations, but please bare with me :) I am a pre-med who is trying to become as informed as possible before taking the med school plunge. I keep reading about the pitfalls associated with OB/GYN specialty, specifically the inevitable law suits which accompany having a private practice. How does the threat of lawsuits differ if you work in a hospital, like Kaiser? Is the lifestyle more bearable? What about the compensation? Please ignore my ignorance and ty in advance :)

I think it's great that you're considering all these aspects of the field, but it's a bit early for you to be worrying about it! First, get into med school, that's the first mountain you have to cross and worry about! Then, as you go through your rotations and what not, you will learn whether or not you want to do Ob-gyn. Believe me, most people start med school with an idea of what specialty they want to do, and, as they go through it, they change their minds SO many times...

Yes, it's true that the threat of lawsuits is there, but it's VERY dependent on where you work (state, hospital, private practice, etc). There are some states that are a lot worse than others (Penn vs Tx, for example); also, if you work in academics or are hired directly by a hospital, your malpractice is covered most of the time.

Best of luck to you!

C/o 2012

Thank you for your reply :) I am just trying to understand what it's like to work for a hospital.

Like the above poster mention... if you work for a hospital... they usually pay for the malpractice. There are many different type of malpractice... the best one is occurrence. Most of the hospital will offer occurrence malpractice.

If you work in a private practice... you will have to pay for your own malpractice. Usually people work in a group. When working for private practice, if your patient is in labor --> you are going to the hospital for delivery unless your partner is on-call or covering.

If you work for the hospital ONLY... when you are home, you are home unless you are on-call. Then you cover the deliveries.

Hospital offers a base salary, some gives you incentives if you take calls.

private practice... calls are NOT extra. You are on either q3/q4 etc. But the more you work, the more you get paid.

Goodluck with your medical career