prac question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justcallmepsych4life

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My supervisor for my first practicum placement asked me to stay for the second year. I told her that our program does not allow us to, and offered to do an elective practicum. I used the term "next year" - however, I do not want to do it again for the winter semester. I am not sure if I committed to the full year or not. However, I do not even have a free weekday next semester (different days/times for classes). Of course, that sounds like an excuse. I was planning on telling her that. Before I do, I just wanted to get your opinions if it sounds like I am breaking a commitment or not. she asked me to stay not because they desperately needed someone, but because i was adhering to her model well. so I'm sure my patients could easily get transferred to someone else. I am just worried is all. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My supervisor for my first practicum placement asked me to stay for the second year. I told her that our program does not allow us to, and offered to do an elective practicum. I used the term "next year" - however, I do not want to do it again for the winter semester. I am not sure if I committed to the full year or not. However, I do not even have a free weekday next semester (different days/times for classes). Of course, that sounds like an excuse. I was planning on telling her that. Before I do, I just wanted to get your opinions if it sounds like I am breaking a commitment or not. she asked me to stay not because they desperately needed someone, but because i was adhering to her model well. so I'm sure my patients could easily get transferred to someone else. I am just worried is all. Thanks!
Who is in charge of practica in your program? The DCT? Another faculty member who just does clinical training and runs the in-house clinic, but doesn't have any grad students to mentor?

This really sounds like something you should directly discuss with them and your supervisor.

Members don't see this ad :)
TBH it seems a little early to be asking trainees to make commitments for the following year, but more importantly a practicum supervisor should not ask you to break the rules your program has established. I would take the issue to your DCT.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay I think my post was not clear. The supervisor asked me at the END of the first year to stay there the second year. However, we have a policy where we are not allowed to have the same practicum twice in a row (elective prac doesn't count). Since I offered to complete an elective practicum, that is okay. There is no issue. My question was simply this: Is it misleading that, on the topic of staying another year, that now I have to say I cannot complete the second semester? If that makes sense...

Okay I think my post was not clear. The supervisor asked me at the END of the first year to stay there the second year. However, we have a policy where we are not allowed to have the same practicum twice in a row (elective prac doesn't count). Since I offered to complete an elective practicum, that is okay. There is no issue. My question was simply this: Is it misleading that, on the topic of staying another year, that now I have to say I cannot complete the second semester? If that makes sense...

So if I understand you correctly, you are just now letting your supervisor know that you will be leaving practicum early, halfway through the year to be exact? Yes, that could be construed as misleading if the understanding up to this point was that you'd be able to commit another year. But it sounds like you got yourself into a tight spot not being aware of what your other commitments would entail. If there is any way to make this right, you should try your best. Is there any opportunity to change your hours (for example, two half-days a week rather than a full day), or to rearrange your course schedule?

This is not the greatest of missteps in the grand scheme of things, but definitely a lesson learned in overcommitting. :)

It's not misleading if it's the truth.

Do you have any concerns about how this might impact internship?

No because it's not my primary practicum. I am at my primary practicum two days a week and at this elective practicum one day a week. However, I do plan on asking this supervisor for a letter of reference so it could hurt in that regard.

So if I understand you correctly, you are just now letting your supervisor know that you will be leaving practicum early, halfway through the year to be exact? Yes, that could be construed as misleading if the understanding up to this point was that you'd be able to commit another year. But it sounds like you got yourself into a tight spot not being aware of what your other commitments would entail. If there is any way to make this right, you should try your best. Is there any opportunity to change your hours (for example, two half-days a week rather than a full day), or to rearrange your course schedule?

This is not the greatest of missteps in the grand scheme of things, but definitely a lesson learned in overcommitting. :)
Unfortunately I cannot do two half-days. The topic was on me staying for another year and I offered to do an elective. she said great. I am not sure if it was assumed i would do the elective for all three semester (fall, winter, and summer), but we have to re-submit for electives each semester. so it's technically not leaving early or anything, but i am afraid i gave the impression i would stay the full academic year. I am hoping the supervisor just appreciates the fact I stayed longer than I had to.

No because it's not my primary practicum. I am at my primary practicum two days a week and at this elective practicum one day a week. However, I do plan on asking this supervisor for a letter of reference so it could hurt in that regard.

If you explain that, due to circumstances outside of your control, you will only be available for one semester, your supervisor should be understanding. While you may not have a contractual commitment, I understand where you're coming from. She probably knows you have a lot on your plate, and one semester is better than nothing. You are doing what you can. If you backed out completely, that would be a different story. I would inform your supervisor of this sooner rather than later so she can plan accordingly.

If you explain that, due to circumstances outside of your control, you will only be available for one semester, your supervisor should be understanding. While you may not have a contractual commitment, I understand where you're coming from. She probably knows you have a lot on your plate, and one semester is better than nothing. You are doing what you can. If you backed out completely, that would be a different story. I would inform your supervisor of this sooner rather than lately so she can plan accordingly.
Thank you! I am letting her know 5 weeks in advanced so hopefully that's enough. I did hint to it before when one of my patients asked how long I'll be saying. During supervision, I told my supervisor I told the patient I will either be staying until December or May. The supervisor did not seem shocked or say anything so hopefully it's fine.

Unfortunately I cannot do two half-days. The topic was on me staying for another year and I offered to do an elective. she said great. I am not sure if it was assumed i would do the elective for all three semester (fall, winter, and summer), but we have to re-submit for electives each semester. so it's technically not leaving early or anything, but i am afraid i gave the impression i would stay the full academic year. I am hoping the supervisor just appreciates the fact I stayed longer than I had to.

I hope so too. You know the supervisor and the context best. If I were supervising a trainee and they told me they would agree to "another year," then yes, I would assume a multi-semester commitment. That said, life happens and hopefully your supervisor will be understanding of the constraints on your time. It sounds like you don't have much control over the situation.

Thank you! I am letting her know 5 weeks in advanced so hopefully that's enough. I did hint to it before when one of my patients asked how long I'll be saying. During supervision, I told my supervisor I told the patient I will either be staying until December or May. The supervisor did not seem shocked or say anything so hopefully it's fine.

I hope all went well with your supervisor! :xf:

Students should always keep in mind that as practicum students they are representatives of their training programs. Fairly or not, your actions reflect on the program as a whole. I been involved with placements, both as a student and a supervisor, where a student leaving early would not be a big deal. On the other hand, there have been others where the work of the student was accounted for and anticipated in budgets, hiring, time allocation, etc., and a student leaving part way through would create a big burden on the supervisor/agency. It can also be tough to replace practicum students "off-cycle." Hope all went well for you. It's not a decision that should be taken lightly, and the the "didn't anticipate that I wouldn't have time in my schedule" reasoning is, IMHO, a little bit weak.

Students should always keep in mind that as practicum students they are representatives of their training programs. Fairly or not, your actions reflect on the program as a whole. I been involved with placements, both as a student and a supervisor, where a student leaving early would not be a big deal. On the other hand, there have been others where the work of the student was accounted for and anticipated in budgets, hiring, time allocation, etc., and a student leaving part way through would create a big burden on the supervisor/agency. It can also be tough to replace practicum students "off-cycle." Hope all went well for you. It's not a decision that should be taken lightly, and the the "didn't anticipate that I wouldn't have time in my schedule" reasoning is, IMHO, a little bit weak.
Like I stated previously, I am not leaving early. Elective practicums have to be re-added to a student's class schedule each semester.