Practical question about which email to use for apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which email address is best to use for graduate school applications?

• Use your .edu email address

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Use your current gmail address

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Create a new gmail account

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

autumn7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a practical question, and may seem nit-picky. I am just seeking input about etiquette.

I am applying to Ph.D. programs, and wondering if I should use my personal gmail, or my current academic email (@___.edu) for applications? This .edu email is both my alumni email, and also my employee email. I am currently employed at this institution in a time-limited training position. They fully expect me to move on to new horizons.

My gmail account is fine, but it was created when I was in college (a ways back), and is a bit long, including numbers. It is fine but simply less professional.

Another option would be to open a new gmail account and go about trying to find a more professional gmail name.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The email address should be professional, straightforward, and easily accessible. An academic .edu account is almost always appropriate, but if you are supposed to be moving on and will lose access to it at any point within the next year (if you are applying for the 2018 cohort, that is), don't use it.

Sometimes it helps to make an entirely new email account just for the purposes of grad school admissions. That way emails from the programs don't get lost amongst your other personal or work emails and there is no risk of you accidentally sending something inappropriate to someone at these programs.

Reactions: 1 user
If your email address is tequiladrunk69, you should create a new email address. Otherwise, you have already given this far more thought than you need to. Do whatever is most convenient for you.

The only thing I'd make sure is that it is one you will retain access to for the immediate future. If you were to take a 2 week gap before starting graduate school and your employer would close it immediately - I would not use that address since the school may be relying on it (department would easily be corrected but the various admin/fin aid/etc. offices might just have what is on the application).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I created a new, more professional email account for applications. It was also nice because I didn't have to worry about that email account getting flooded with non-application stuff.

Some insitutions' IT departments knock people out of the system FAST. Like within days of an appointment ending. If there is any risk of that, don't use that institution email. It's not common though I dont think (I think my grad school email still works years later).
I used a new gmail when I applied. It was just easier to have everything in one place, and everything that went to that email was app-related.

Agreed with the above, use whichever is easiest and whichever address you'll definitely have access to for at least the next year. And also as has been said, if the old gmail address is less-than-professional, I would go ahead and create a new one. Even if you don't use it for apps, it could be useful in the future.