Practice and Residency at same time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, i have one more question.

i heard that some states doesnt require any residency or post graduate training to obtain a license. All u need to do is just graduate and start working (ofcourse u r not gonna have all that benefits of surgery,etc :( )

Suppose someone (i hope one day that someone will be "me" :D ) graduates from a Podiatry school and secures a residency in a state like that where he can get license without any post graduate training.

So here is my question, what if that person while doing a 3 year residency in that state, also applies and gets his license and start working/his own practice in evenings or weekends (doing basic podiatry jobs like clipping nails and primary care at nursing homes,etc) and make extra money :D along with this residency compensation :D

Is that possible or the residency programs make u sign papers under which u r not supposed to work.

Members don't see this ad.

Most residencies do not allow moonlighting. Usually you don't have enough time if they did allow it.

As for not having a post graduate training, I think that it is required in almost every state. If it is not required, you would have a very very limited practice b/c your would not get board certified in either FF or RF.

cool_vkb said:

i heard that some states doesnt require any residency or post graduate training to obtain a license. All u need to do is just graduate and start working (ofcourse u r not gonna have all that benefits of surgery,etc :( )

Suppose someone (i hope one day that someone will be "me" :D ) graduates from a Podiatry school and secures a residency in a state like that where he can get license without any post graduate training.

So here is my question, what if that person while doing a 3 year residency in that state, also applies and gets his license and start working/his own practice in evenings or weekends (doing basic podiatry jobs like clipping nails and primary care at nursing homes,etc) and make extra money :D along with this residency compensation :D

Is that possible or the residency programs make u sign papers under which u r not supposed to work.

It was a nice thought, but I dont see that happening. Number one, you would have to get a job as an associate somewhere while in your residency because it takes a lot of time, energy, patience and gonads to start your own practice. Good luck with that while in residency. Second, I dont think any group would even consider hiring you as an associate if you were not BC/BQ or without any residency training at all so scratch that out. And third, Feelgood is right, most programs dont allow moonlighting but if you were to be in a program that did, your moonlighting would mostly consist of working at the clinics of your attending physicians at your program. In that case I dont think you would even need to be in a state that did not require a residency because you could legally work under your attendings.

But alas, I am not the podiatric expert like feelgood here so I could just be speaking jibberish. But thats what I would think anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
cool_vkb said:

As Dr. Feelgood said most of the residency programs do not permit moonlighting. However, let say you decide to ignore your residency program policy and moonlight without your residency program knowing, you still run into other problems. The first one would be that you would need to carry professional malpractice insurance. All residency programs purchase professioinal malpractice for all of their residents. If the residency program forbids moonlighting, then any professional activities that you perform outside of your residency program would require you to purchase separate professional malpractice insurance for your moonlighting activities. The other problem would be blilling issues for your professional activities outside of your residency training. As a resident, you are not allow to bill Medicare for any of your professional services. Medicare funds all of the residency programs in the US. If you were to bill Medicare for your professional services during residency training, you will be committing a criminal act by "double dipping" into Medicare. Hence, any professional activities that you render will need to be billed by someone else and you will get paid whatever arrangements that you make with the biller. These are some of problems that one might need to deal with if someone were to moonlight. Lastly, you need to remember that you will probably have long work hours in many of the PM&S-36 programs. Hence, one might get burnt out very quickly by moonlighting along with residency training.

As far as I know Hawaii is the only state that does not require post-graduate training and they don't have a residency program.