Practice Management & Calls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guildsman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Specifically with regards to a busy oncology practice, the immediate release of results to patients has generated an increasing number of calls requesting complex discussions regarding results, management, and prognosis. These calls often turn into the equivalent of office visits. How do others manage this - NP/PA screening? time limits on conversations? other?

Members don't see this ad.

They get appointments. Period.

I also make sure that labs/imaging/biopsies all happen BEFORE their appointments so we can hash it all out afterward. If I'm ordering anything that's not being done in my own lab at the time of the appointment, they're getting scheduled for another appointment to go over the results.

I don't work for free.

Reactions: 2 users
What time interval do you set between results and visits? It seems like even a week is enough gap time to trigger calls.

What time interval do you set between results and visits? It seems like even a week is enough gap time to trigger calls.
Depends. I try to have scans and basic labs done 1-2d before, or same day sometimes. Pathology or more extensive/specialized testing, 1-2 weeks.

The key is setting expectations.

"You're going to have 'test X' done and I will see you Y days after that. If there is a critical finding that requires immediate intervention, I will call you, otherwise, we will discuss at our visit."

Reactions: 1 users