Practice management courses at UCBSO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JennyJet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've heard rumors that UCBSO is more of a research school than a how to practice school. I know they just started a joint venture with UCB Business school. The 3rd years and some 4th years are taking a business workshop that they have to fit into their schedule. I was wondering if practice management courses were non-existent at UCBSO until recently. Any UCBSO students/graduates out there that can dispel the rumor?

I also know from experience that you don't learn everything in the classroom, but where does one get the best information on how to run a practice?

Members don't see this ad.

JennyJet said:
(...)I was wondering if practice management courses were non-existent at UCBSO until recently. Any UCBSO students/graduates out there that can dispel the rumor?

I also know from experience that you don't learn everything in the classroom, but where does one get the best information on how to run a practice?

Dear JennyJet,

Since my own graduation many years ago, UCBSO has always had a practice management course. It was usually taught in the 4th year. The new program that was jointly developed by the Haas business school at UCB incorporates a course design from both the business and optometry school faculites. A good portion of the course is taught be optometrists.

To say that optometry school can adequately prepare anyone for private practice is still a bit of a "pipe dream" although recent developments may tend to "bridge" this gap.

Richard