Practice management courses at UCBSO

Started by JennyJet
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JennyJet

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've heard rumors that UCBSO is more of a research school than a how to practice school. I know they just started a joint venture with UCB Business school. The 3rd years and some 4th years are taking a business workshop that they have to fit into their schedule. I was wondering if practice management courses were non-existent at UCBSO until recently. Any UCBSO students/graduates out there that can dispel the rumor?

I also know from experience that you don't learn everything in the classroom, but where does one get the best information on how to run a practice?
 
JennyJet said:
(...)I was wondering if practice management courses were non-existent at UCBSO until recently. Any UCBSO students/graduates out there that can dispel the rumor?

I also know from experience that you don't learn everything in the classroom, but where does one get the best information on how to run a practice?

Dear JennyJet,

Since my own graduation many years ago, UCBSO has always had a practice management course. It was usually taught in the 4th year. The new program that was jointly developed by the Haas business school at UCB incorporates a course design from both the business and optometry school faculites. A good portion of the course is taught be optometrists.

To say that optometry school can adequately prepare anyone for private practice is still a bit of a "pipe dream" although recent developments may tend to "bridge" this gap.

Richard