Practice NBME after first year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharklasers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My school gives a practice NBME after first year, covering only first year material obviously.

I only got 76% right. I'm not sure how good this is, but it doesn't seem great. They don't give us any other score.

Either way, i performed under average on anatomy, which scares me the most, since everything was supposed to have been fresh.

What do you guys recommend for that?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm thinking the brs gross anatomy red boxes

is this sufficient, in addition to first aid/uworld/other random question sources?

roadmap's clinical boxes. 76% isn't great but its not terrible either. 90+% on the nbme for step 1 is about 240ish

I don't think you can really draw much information from a percentage correct without context of class average or national preformance on those questions historically. This question is better directed at your course directors who designed the customized NBME. There's probably someone in the department who has a database correlating past class performance on that specific exam and end point STEP 1 performance.

I wouldn't waste too much time sweating your anatomy performance. It's one of the lowest yield subject areas on the STEP 1 exam. It's not like you did poorly on physiology/pathophysiology, which is the bread and butter of most STEP 1 questions. Work your butt off in neuroanatomy (if that's a second year course for you) and you'll be well prepared for most "anatomy" subject area questions that you'll see.