Practice OAT scores, and need advice!!

EskimoRefugee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the first time I've posted on this site, and was just wondering if I could ask for some advice...

I've just completed my two Kaplan practice tests, and this is what I'm looking at:

Test 1 Test 2
Bio: 360 310
Gen. Chem: 300 270
Orgo: 280 280
Physics: 240 260
Reading Comp: 340 360
QR: 330 360

Total score: 310 310

All in all, it's not terrible (save the physics score - yeeesh.)

Since the first practice exam I've been solely studying physics... Is this a smart approach, seeing as how it's my lowest total score? Or should I be focusing on organic and general chemistry more so?

I'm scheduled to take the OAT in 2 weeks, so basically it's cram time.

I guess at this point I'm just wondering if these scores were to be what I got on the actual OAT, would I have a chance of getting into a school? (I'm applying for fall 2016)

My GPA is a 3.5 science, ~3.6 overall, and I've done some (~30 hours) shadowing an optometrist and >200 hours with a myriad of other doctors.

Please, if you have any feedback/advice whatsoever any and all is appreciated!!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How long have you been study? I did not found the kaplan practice test is so much similar to the actual oat. Because my score in kaplan and actual one are way too different.

I've been studying for about a month and a half now. I started over the winter break, right around Christmas, and have been studying ever since.

How have the kaplan scores and the actual OAT scores been different for you?

I score 310 in kaplan and 360 in my actual test. However, I did not use any kaplan material though. I only did thier free online test.
I studied for about two months too. So my advice is don't let the practice test discourage you. And I saw that you want to apply for 2016 cycle, so you have more than enough time. I took mine last month and apply this year so I feel like I kinda late.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay thanks so much I really appreciate your feedback, I won't let it discourage me at all!

Also you weren't too late, I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck and I would love to hear how it goes for you!

Sorry to bring this post back to life. But I just took my OAT this week and these were my scores. My GPA is a 3.33 out of 4.o and I just graduated this past december.

BIO 390 96.8 percentile
GENCHEM 350 88.0
ORGO 400 100.0
READING C. 340 85.9
PHYSICS 310 66.1 (lol)
QUANT REAS 330 80.0
TS 370 94.8
AA 350 93.8

How competitive are my scores? Which schools are the "best" for me? Which ones should I aim for?
Kinda new to this. Any advice would help :)

Sorry to bring this post back to life. But I just took my OAT this week and these were my scores. My GPA is a 3.33 out of 4.o and I just graduated this past december.

BIO 390 96.8 percentile
GENCHEM 350 88.0
ORGO 400 100.0
READING C. 340 85.9
PHYSICS 310 66.1 (lol)
QUANT REAS 330 80.0
TS 370 94.8
AA 350 93.8

How competitive are my scores? Which schools are the "best" for me? Which ones should I aim for?
Kinda new to this. Any advice would help :)

Your numbers are pretty competitive, if you also have a good amount of shadow I would say you are good to go.
Only you can answer which school is best for you though. Do you have a list that you wanna apply to?

Your numbers are pretty competitive, if you also have a good amount of shadow I would say you are good to go.
Only you can answer which school is best for you though. Do you have a list that you wanna apply to?

Thanks for the reply!! Yeah I've been working at an optometrists office for a year now and I plan to shadow an opthalmologist soon. I see that you applied for this cycle! If you don't mind me asking how did it go? and which schools did you apply to?

It was good. I applied a few and got into my first choice. I will attend UHCO next year. My oat is very same as yours. I also work for an optometrist about a year too. I think you will be fine.