Practice Ownership Straight Out of School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drawingdentist

Dental Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Has anyone owned a practice straight out of school? How was it getting a loan to open? What was your experience?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like the consensus is to work for a few years and save up to purchase a practice rather than owning one straight out of school. This way you become faster and more experienced and learn the business side of dentistry prior to jumping straight into ownership. Also, you may even be able to save enough in these few years to pay for a practice in cash which would be the ideal.

Disclaimer: I am just an incoming dental student so these are just points I've picked up around sdn

I had considered buying a practice when I was three months out of residency. The biggest challenge was coming up with enough $$$. Since I did not have enough money and was worried at the risks at the time, I decided not to buy. I do know of some people that bought a practice less than 1 year out and are doing well

Members don't see this ad :)
You would be really handicapping yourself in the big picture by waiting to buy a practice until you could pay cash tor one. Be ready to borrow when you see the right opportunity.

But I also would not advocate buying or starting up straight out of school, unless you have a lot of prior experience in this industry or are in a really low-competition location. Waaay too many ways you could learn lessons the expensive way by doing that. Work for somebody else’s office for a year then start looking for your own.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone!

Has anyone owned a practice straight out of school? How was it getting a loan to open? What was your experience?
Buy or start your own practice when you are confident enough in yourself to put your name on a business that’s sole foundation is your professional opinion,skill, and expertise.

I owned my first practice when I was a GPR. An attending told me of a distressed Medicaid practice which was for sale and he suggested I buy it. Borrowed from the bank, on simply my good name. I was now the boss, two part time dentists, two assistants, receptionist, and me, who was somewhere else most of the day. Hired my mom to watch the store. I stopped by every evening on my way home to pick up the receipts. Started profit sharing and hired a hygienist. Worked every Saturday and Sunday I was not on call. The two part time dentists started making a lot more money when they were incentivised. The hygienist became the big win. The DA's made sure every chart was called, updated, and recalled. The frontline receptionist answered the phone and ordered a new phone system that connected the entire staff together.
I made deals with all of my vendors, and cut my overhead by 20%. By deals I mean I negotiated a lower price by paying up front rather than 30-90 day net. People hate to wait for their money.
I paid everyone else before me. I had my resident salary. I learned about withholding taxes, WC ins, and payroll services. I got cheaper insurance for the office. I got a small business incentive break from Con Ed. Made friends with my neighboring businesses and joined the chamber of commerce. Sure, there were ups and downs, but in the long run, I made money, learned a lot, and was not afraid to fail. What could anyone do to me if I went belly up? I had nothing. In the end I sold the place to the two part time dentists and bought the practice I still have today. Next week I move into a new office, leaving behind the office I have been in for 32 years. Why? Long overdue, and new challenges in dentistry lie ahead. In order to keep this job interesting, you must keep reinventing it.

Reactions: 5 users
Sure, there were ups and downs, but in the long run, I made money, learned a lot, and was not afraid to fail. What could anyone do to me if I went belly up? I had nothing. In the end I sold the place to the two part time dentists and bought the practice I still have today. Next week I move into a new office, leaving behind the office I have been in for 32 years. Why? Long overdue, and new challenges in dentistry lie ahead. In order to keep this job interesting, you must keep reinventing it.

For all you newly minted dentists out there, that have lived a life of control and caution to this point in your life, pay attention to the line...
.."I was not afraid to fail"!!!!!

Thanks Saddleshoes. Risk is a hard thing to gauge, and I have of course left out many horror stories, but that goes with the territory of small business ownership. Dental students and new grads are a collective group of high achievers, who are not used to failure. As in any business, but especially in dentistry, it is hard to see all the angles. Sometimes you have to take a chance.

I am currently seeking new or recent graduates to join our team in Washington State were our average general dentist makes over 300k per year. I started my first practice along with a partner just over 7 years ago and have developed proven systems to generate massive new patient flow while keeping the office overhead below 40%. Our first year we collected over 1.2 million with a 42% overhead and we are now collecting just shy of 3 million with a 35% overhead still with just two doctors on an individual doctor 3 day work week at the original office. I would love to train a highly motivated go getter in all things necessary for success. Partnership opportunities start at 400k.

Reactions: 1 user
Couldn’t be further from the truth. We do not accept Medicaid and all doctors are equal owners. Each doctor works 30 hours one week and 36 the next. We are open Saturday mornings but off Sundays. All of our staff work three day work weeks and love it, most of them have been with us for 5 years or more.

Reactions: 1 users
Couldn’t be further from the truth. We do not accept Medicaid and all doctors are equal owners. Each doctor works 30 hours one week and 36 the next. We are open Saturday mornings but off Sundays. All of our staff work three day work weeks and love it, most of them have been with us for 5 years or more.
Would you consider hiring a newly graduated student right from school without a GPR/AEGD? And if so, what starting salary range would you consider fair if they do not want to buy in as a partial owner as of yet?

Reactions: 3 users
Absolutely, to me your individual drive is much more important than your training. How much are you looking for? You want some guaranteed loan repayment? How about 30% of collections plus loan repayment bonus after each year equal to average monthly collections. For example if you worked a full year and averaged 60k in collections per month you would receive 216k in wages for the year plus an additional 60k of loan repayment.

Reactions: 1 users