"Practice Pathway" Question

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Popoff Valve

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,
I'm starting my second year of Anesthesiology residency, and I am interested in Palliative care. My question is as follows : If I do a lot of "moonlighting" with a local Hospice/Palliative care team and some conferences/online courses over the next 3 years, do you think I can meet the "grandfather clause" and get board-certified in 2012? I will finish residency in July 2012 and that happens to be the last year of grandfathering.​

I posted the requirements below, but I was wondering if any of you thought that I might NOT be eligible since all of my palliative care experience will be during residency. Thanks for your input.​



"Requires that the Diplomate demonstrate having spent at least 800 hours clinical involvement in
subspecialty-level practice of hospice and palliative medicine during the last five years prior to application
for examination, including:​

��
at least two years of sub-specialty level practice in hospice and palliative medicine
�� ​

​

at least 100 hours of participation with a hospice or palliative care team* and
�� ​

​

participation in the active care of at least 50 terminally ill patients or patients requiring palliative
care (only 25 required for pediatrics)"​


​
 
Sorry,

I don't think you can grandfather in as a resident. You have to be an independent practicing licensed physician who is not in residency.

Even if you could, would your program director allow you to dedicate such a massive amount of time to this?